• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding neutered male with unspayed female

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

My male rabbit is 5 months old and was neutered 4 weeks ago. I would love to get him a companion. My plan is to get a female bunny who will obviously be unspayed (i will get spayed when old enough). What are the chances of a successfull bonding? Jasper my current rabbit is very friendly and laid back. He lives indoors in my living room in a huge 2 storey cage that i would like them to share eventually but i have accepted i will need a new cage for the new bunny to begin with. I've never shut his cage so he has free run of my house but rarely leaves the living room. I'm planning to back the new cage by the living room door effectively cutting them off from each other but allowing them to see and smell. Hopefully after supervised time together i can ditch her cage and leave them to share. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Hi,

My male rabbit is 5 months old and was neutered 4 weeks ago. I would love to get him a companion. My plan is to get a female bunny who will obviously be unspayed (i will get spayed when old enough). What are the chances of a successfull bonding? Jasper my current rabbit is very friendly and laid back. He lives indoors in my living room in a huge 2 storey cage that i would like them to share eventually but i have accepted i will need a new cage for the new bunny to begin with. I've never shut his cage so he has free run of my house but rarely leaves the living room. I'm planning to back the new cage by the living room door effectively cutting them off from each other but allowing them to see and smell. Hopefully after supervised time together i can ditch her cage and leave them to share. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan, welcome :wave:

Would it be possible for you to get a rescue bunny, rather than an un-spayed female from a pet shop?

Almost all rescue buns are already spayed/neutered and vaccinated, so you'd not have to worry about that :)

I agree with Graham, contact a rescue who will be able to find you a suitable partner for your rabbit and they will usually assist you with bonding them. That way you do not have to get an additional cage for the new female and they can live together from the minute they arrive home.

If you can give a rough idea about the area you live in, we may be able to advise on a local rescue which can help you.

Thanks for your replies.

I live in Middlesbrough. That was my original plan and I've already been to the local rescue centre and they had very few rabbits. I've also got my heart set on a drawf lop (the same breed as Jasper). After looking there and on the various websites i.e preloved.com i have decided to try my luck with a new bunny. Wish i had bought 2 together in hindsight but i've never had a rabbit before Jasper

Dan

:wave: hello, if you are able to travel a little way there are a few rescue centres in Newcastle, and I think there are some in Durham as well

Hey,

Yeah thanks i looked on the RSPCA website but unfortunately there are no female dwarf lops that need rescuing and ive got my heart set on getting another rabbit the same breed as my current rabbit jasper. Has anyone got any advice on bonding an unspayed doe to a neutered buck?

Hey,

Yeah thanks i looked on the RSPCA website but unfortunately there are no female dwarf lops that need rescuing and ive got my heart set on getting another rabbit the same breed as my current rabbit jasper. Has anyone got any advice on bonding an unspayed doe to a neutered buck?

If she is a baby it should be quite easy as her hormones won't have kicked in. I bonded Zero and Lucy when she was an unspayed baby and it was just like a normal bond. Put them together on neutral territory for 48 hours and watch them like a hawk! Once her hormones kick in though she might get territorial and attack Jasper. Lucy is 5 or 6 months old now and she has never gotten hormonal but it does happen :). Oh and Jasper will be fertile for up to 6 weeks after his neuter :wave:

Thanks i hadnt looked in the rehome section. Unfortunately there are none in the area. I'll keep looking as he has only got neutered 3 weeks ago. Also i have a broken arm so probably need both my arms when attempting to bond so ill be sensible and wait ha.

Yeah cheers Nicola i found another thread where most people had been succesful too. If i cant find a doe around the same age and breed as jasper ill attempt bpnding with a new bun :)

One other thing to watch with an unspayed female is that once the hormones kick in they can be very erm, flirty :oops: Custardapple Furrypods used to run round Poor Apricot Le Bunbun constantly and roll over and would even nip his bum trying to get him to mount her- which he had little interest in, having been neutered at 16 weeks old. In the end he used to have to sit on top of her, which seemed to satisfy her to some extent so that she would give him some peace xx

Back