• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Patch has to go under general for dental and he has an infection- Advice please?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I just got back from the vets with patch and blaze about their eye problems. They are now on maxitrol for their eyes as the exocin isn't working.

Shadow also on antibiotics- the vet says he is now fine. The vets advice was to try and avoid antibiotics with eye problems- and not give where unnecessary.

I asked the vet to check both of there teeth- it turns out patch has really bad spurs that are pointy and potentially causing him alot of pain and going into his gums and blaze has spurs, but not so bad.

He said nothing about getting blaze seen too- just said he needs to go back on baytril in 2 weeks- he now is having a two week break from antibiotics. Does he need anything done with these spurs- or do vets just wait until they need doing- i'm a little confused with why they don't need any treatment.

He is due to go under general anesthetic next week to have them seen too. The vet commented that because he has an infection already- which he thinks is pasteurella, as with blaze. Then general anesthetic has extra risks.

Does anyone have any advice about this situation or is there any questions i should be asking the vet on this subject?

I also have 3 girls who are showing runny eye symptoms- one vet suspected pasturella, then when i took them back because i was unsure about there eyes again- the vet said they were fine, but i am still certain their eyes are not right- i'll have to post some pics of the eyes for you to see. Maybe i notice this because i've been around them 3-4 years and they have always had perfect eyes- no wetness around them.

Should i try bathing the eyes?
Thanks alot,

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused between who has what condition, what treatment (or not) and who is having a GA.

If I were in your situation and the infection is not too bad, I would be inclined to hold off the antibiotics so that while the bun is under GA for teeth to be dealt with (I would advise asking them to burr back to just above the gumline and reshape fully rather than just taking the points off), the bun can at the same time have a flush through of the tear ducts and the fluid sent off for culture & sensitivity and cytology. I would also be inclined to ask for head x-rays so your vet can determine whether the tooth roots are causing or contributing to the problem with the runny eyes.

This should give you a much better idea of what is going on and how it can best be treated. Doing it all under the GA ensure that the vet can get the best possible look at everything and can do the x-ray and flush at the same time which will only take a few minutes extra. If a flush and c&s test is being done, it's important that they come off the antibiotic in advance if safe to do so as it will affect the result of the test.

My Santa had multiple GAs over the years when she also had active and chronic upper respiratory problems so in the hands of a competent vet with good post-operative nursing I don't think that's necessarily a huge problem.

Good luck x

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused between who has what condition, what treatment (or not) and who is having a GA.

If I were in your situation and the infection is not too bad, I would be inclined to hold off the antibiotics so that while the bun is under GA for teeth to be dealt with (I would advise asking them to burr back to just above the gumline and reshape fully rather than just taking the points off), the bun can at the same time have a flush through of the tear ducts and the fluid sent off for culture & sensitivity and cytology. I would also be inclined to ask for head x-rays so your vet can determine whether the tooth roots are causing or contributing to the problem with the runny eyes.

This should give you a much better idea of what is going on and how it can best be treated. Doing it all under the GA ensure that the vet can get the best possible look at everything and can do the x-ray and flush at the same time which will only take a few minutes extra. If a flush and c&s test is being done, it's important that they come off the antibiotic in advance if safe to do so as it will affect the result of the test.

My Santa had multiple GAs over the years when she also had active and chronic upper respiratory problems so in the hands of a competent vet with good post-operative nursing I don't think that's necessarily a huge problem.

Good luck x

Thankyou- if i do the culture and sensitivity test- would i be likely to find out anything that would effect the medicines given to treat the problem? I.e would it be any different to baytril and eye drops( i've had alot).

I appreciate all your advice and information about this and will talk to my vet first thing xxxxxxxxxx

Thankyou- if i do the culture and sensitivity test- would i be likely to find out anything that would effect the medicines given to treat the problem? I.e would it be any different to baytril and eye drops( i've had alot).

Yes that's the whole point of the sensitivity part of the test - the culture grows and identifies the bacteria and the sensitivity determines which antibiotics it is sensitive to, so it tells the vet what is the best antibiotic/combination of antibiotics to use :)

Yes that's the whole point of the sensitivity part of the test - the culture grows and identifies the bacteria and the sensitivity determines which antibiotics it is sensitive to, so it tells the vet what is the best antibiotic/combination of antibiotics to use :)

Thankyou :) I'll suggest this. They have had baytril, exocin, fusalmic vet, tiacil, terramycin, maxitrol now.

My vet suspects it will be an ongoing problem and it is pasturella causing it- i think your definately right- it would be better to know, that just treat for everything going xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back