• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie bonding nightmare!

Romily

Warren Scout
Hello

I have a lot of guinea pigs and a rabbit called Hamish (un-neutered ) boy. On Sunday I acquired another male bunny Toto and thought (wrongly I now realise) that you could bond rabbits the same way as guinea pigs.

Now I think I need advice before I go any further. I introduced the two boys and initially Hamish mounted Toto relentlessly but Toto did not react at all. Then there was some mutual sniffing and licking. That was on Sunday and Monday was the same.

Today however there are tufts of fur in their house and during dinner one of them screamed, which I have never heard a rabbit do before. We have now separated them and Toto has lain down and looks exhausted and Hamish looks the same.

We do not have space to keep both separate overnight or indeed long term and I am keen to do what I can to get them together . I do appreciate that I have not approached things the right way however that is the position I am in now and I am looking for a way forward.

Trying to bond two unneutered males is extremely dangerous as serious life threatening injuries can occur and males have been known to castrate one another and worse.

Both rabbits need to be castrated and allowed time to heal, hormones to settle and then you may be able to rebond in neutral territory but be aware that bonding two boys even when neutered is probably the most difficult combination.

Neutering really is your ONLY WAY FORWARD from here. If they do not bond following neutral territory rules and careful bonding then you will need to be prepared to perhaps find each an alternative partner of the opposite sex (again neutered)

A rabbit that screams is either in severe pain or severe fright - elevated stress levels of this kind are not good for bunny's health so please do not attempt to put them together again until BOTH have been neutered.

Thought I would add a wee update the boys are now truly bonded and are living together very happily. After both being on their own for so long it is fabulous to see them playing and cuddling together!

Warning - Upsetting Photo

Thought I would add a wee update the boys are now truly bonded and are living together very happily. After both being on their own for so long it is fabulous to see them playing and cuddling together!

Did you get them neutered?

If yes, then fab, but if you didn't, you are heading for big trouble.

This is a photo of what a boy will do to another to castrate themselves.........

UnneuteredMalesScrotumDamage003.jpg

The boy rabbit died of his injuries despite the vets best efforts to save him. (he was not my rabbit BTW)

Last edited:
yes they seem fine now but eventually a fight will break out over who owns the food/litter etc.

the only thing you can do to prevent it is neutering and removing the hormones completely.

Back