• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

penny`s teeth

pennypoos

Mama Doe
some of you may of read my thread the other day, that I had to take Penny to the vets for a dental under GA. Penny is 5 years old, and this is the first time that I have had to take her to the vets for teeth problems.
When I went to pick her up after the procedure, the vet nurse said that her front teeth were fine, and that her back teeth were not too bad but they were slightly growing out and rubbing on th inside of her cheeks.
I would like to know if this could be an ongoing problem with penny ?
Do you think that she will need regular dentals ? Or could it of just been a one off ?
sorry if this sounds like a bit of a daft question, but I don`t have any experience with Dental buns.:oops: and I forgot to ask the nurse.:oops:

Rabbits who have previously had no dental issues can go on to develop them in later life, especially if there is a genetic predisposition to do so. More than this, age related changes to the jaw can mean that what was once a perfectly alligned jaw may begin to change in shape and allignment, and the continually erupting tooth roots in rabbits can sometimes eventually push the teeth out of line as well.

I think that if your bun is begining to develop molar spurs and the spurs are laterally placed and rubbing on the gums/cheeks then this could well be an ongoing problem that you will need to monitor closely. Ulceration and low-grade pain from the teeth rubbing will probably firstly present as bun going off her food or changing the type of food she wants to eat, this should be an early warning to you that another check up is imminent. Also watch our for drooling or a wet chin/dewlap.
A high tough fibrous diet should atleast help to slow any progression of dental disease, but yes, you may need ongoing dentals from now on. Just see how she goes and try not to worry too much, some buns have regularl dentals and do just fine. :)

Rabbits who have previously had no dental issues can go on to develop them in later life, especially if there is a genetic predisposition to do so. More than this, age related changes to the jaw can mean that what was once a perfectly alligned jaw may begin to change in shape and allignment, and the continually erupting tooth roots in rabbits can sometimes eventually push the teeth out of line as well.

I think that if your bun is begining to develop molar spurs and the spurs are laterally placed and rubbing on the gums/cheeks then this could well be an ongoing problem that you will need to monitor closely. Ulceration and low-grade pain from the teeth rubbing will probably firstly present as bun going off her food or changing the type of food she wants to eat, this should be an early warning to you that another check up is imminent. Also watch our for drooling or a wet chin/dewlap.
A high tough fibrous diet should atleast help to slow any progression of dental disease, but yes, you may need ongoing dentals from now on. Just see how she goes and try not to worry too much, some buns have regularl dentals and do just fine. :)

Is timothy hay the best hay to feed a dental bun ? What else can i feed her to slow down the tooth spurs ?
She currently has unlimited ammouts of hay, though I`m not sure what kind it is as I buy it in bales from my friend who runs a rabbit rescue. She also has SS pellets, spring greens, a small amount of carrot, spinich, bok choy and basil. Is there any thing else I can do ? she has lots of Willow toys that she likes to chew, and wooden chew blocks, but she pays no interest in them.
Thank you very much for your advice.:D

I have had quite a few older bunnies who have needed a one off dental and have been fine for years afterwards :wave:

Oh thats good to hear.:)
I will keep a close eye on her. Though this time her loss of appetite was easy to spot as she was a lone bun, but I`m now bonding her with her new friend, so I`m worried that keeping a track on what she is eating will be more difficult to spot.

That's reassuring to hear. :)

Nope pennypoos, any hay is fine! Hay or grass - best thing for teethy pegs :D

My lily had one about 3 years ago and never had one since, she is between 7 or 8 years now, not really sure on exact age. Woody had one at 5 years and died at 7 years. I am sure there have been others :)

Back