• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My hutch, and more questions (:

Hello Again!

I dont know if you remember but I recently asked about hutch sizes etc for a pair of buns. Anyway this is what I have so far :D

An 8'x2'x2', which has a partition so it can be split into halves if there is ever cause to do so.

DSCF5458.jpg

However it still needs a bit of tweaking, and the floow under the hutch needs some mega cleaning. But now the run is the next thing! So far Ive read 6'x6'x2' and 6'x4'x2'. I think we are going for the larger as we have the room so why not!

Anyway about having it so the buns always have access, I want it so that it can be moved onto the grass so how should I go about making it to that the buns can also get to it when they are in their hutch? Some sort of ramp? Im a bit puzzled atm!

OH! And Finacard is okay as a substrate? Obviously Hay will be available, but im not sure on Straw? Some say yes some say no, so im not sure on whether its safe or not as we used to use it when we had two netherland dwarfs. But t seems that a couple of years down the line attitudes have changed! Thank you again :D

Helloo... Most hutches with an attached run Have the hutch on top and a ramp leading down from a hole on the floor, basically. Take a look at the housing thread on here for ideas, or at some of the good online hutches.

Substrate-wise, you might like to put non-slip lino down, securely. That makes it easy to clean and extends the life of your hutch. You can use finacard, I have in the past, but in the last month or so mine have been unlitter training themselves, so I now have nothing on the floor, which is improving things! Mine have megazorb in their litter tray, and hay in a hay rack, which is actually a half moon hanging basket! I do put a layer of straw in their bed area for warmth at night, but I only use straw in winter because it's a better insulator. I do a layer of straw then plenty of hay on top.

Hope that helps :wave:

xxx

I'm no good on the run front but for substrate - I use newspaper (am hoping to get some lino soon) and straw on top (not a great deal just 3 or 4 handfuls and then lots and lots of hay.

Back