• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed yesterday, still not eating :(

AussieDana

New Kit
I had my 8 month old doe spayed yesterday and she hasn't eaten by herself for 24hrs now :( She's normally a fantastic eater and loves her fruit and vegies, I did a big bunny buffet when she got home (didn't eat her goodies at the vets either) and she hasn't touched it. Last night 13hrs after last food, I syringe fed her about 40mls of a mix of soaked pellets and pureed apple, and another 50mls about 30mins ago. She's drinking but hasn't pooed or passed urine yet. She's had 0.3ml Metacam this morning. She appears bright enough but not moving around much, Jake was annoying her a bit last night but I thought it would probably stress her more is I took him away :( The vet opens in 45mins so will ring him then, what do you think the next course of action should be? Will she need to go back in?

Thanks in advance :)

Seems like only Antipodeans about at the moment.
Realise its 2 hours since you posted too so you have probably solved this already but I'd say definitely get her back to the vets.
Its great that she is drinking & accepting food via syringe but no urine or faeces being passed is not good & needs veterinary attention.
As well as a trip back to the vets I'd just suggest keeping her warm with snugglesafe or similar & keep offering her her favourite foods. Nice fresh herbs such as parsley or mint may entice her into eating by herself.
Hope you get this sorted & do post how you get on.

Thanks for your reply :) I took her back to the vets and he gave her an injection of a steroid and a gut stimulant and said she should be eating within 3 hrs. It's been almost 2hrs now and still no eating so I have everything crossed she starts soon. If she's still not by 5pm I have to take her back (almost midday here). She seems sprightly enough but I just wish she'd eat (and poo of course!) :(

ETA She's basking in her usual favourite sunny spot by the window so she's definitely warm, I've had the heater going as well this morning as it was quite chilly.

Well thats sounding good. If she's basking in the sun she must be comfy & warm. Fingers crossed for eating & pooing very soon.
I'm bonding a trio so am sitting with them for the next 36 hrs at least so joined at the hip to my laptop & reading to pass the time. Its all going well at the moment or rather as I expected, the Nethie thinks he's the boss of the big buns which looks fairly amusing!
Do keep us posted :)

Think everyone was sleeping over this side of the world. I hope your bunny is now eating. If not, then I would take her back to the vets for more medication and advice.

UPDATE: She's eating!! :D:D:D I had to go out to a b'day party with the kids and was hoping like crazy she'd be eating when I got home. I found them both basking in the afternoon sun at a different window so thought that was a good sign that she'd moved. I cut up some fresh apple and put it in front of her, she ignored it and my heart sank :( Then I heard a crunch crunch crunch and she ate most of it, oh and some brocoli :D Now I can relax with a bottle of wine! I never thought I'd get so attached but she really had me worried and I cried at the vets this morning :oops:

Thanks for being a sounding board and offering advice, much appreciated :love:

Sorry we weren't around earlier! So very glad she's eating again and feeling better. These bunnies certainly get under our skin and make us worry!

Back