• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine scald Can anyone help?

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
:( Jasper has it on his back legs. I noticed it this weekend. His fur is very fuzy and coarse not smooth like the other bunnys. Its pretty bushy as well. Could this be why? Also I noticed he has really orange almost red urine possibly liquid comming from his bum rather than his boy bits. I cleaned him up and that seems to be the end of it. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

I know everyone is going to tell me to go to the vet and I am. I'll get an app booked today but i'm just looking for ideas on what to expect before I go. :(

Nothing about his behaviour or eating habbits has changed and he seems fine in himself.

Last edited:
My Inca often gets Urine Scald and hers is caused mainly through Urinary Tract Infections.
This is cleared up by a course of antibiotics.

Not sure about the other liquid :(

How bad is the scalding? If buns skin is inflammed then sudocream can help to relieve skin before your trip to the vets.

Its not bad I think i've caught it early. His fur is comming off but the skins not looking sore just bald :shock: Could it be because of his increased spraying? (during his bonding to Dexter)

I suppose increased spraying would mean more chance of getting it on his fur and could cause minor scalding.

I really do hope it is as simple as that, cos it aint pretty when urine scauld gets bad :(

I must be early with it then because his skin is just normal pink and not inflamed. He's not bothered about me touching it either so i'm pretty sure its not sore for now. I'll see what vet says.

Sudocream or a very mild tea tree wash or cream. Tea tree is a natural antisceptic and my vet told me about it when Vin had EC and consequently very bad urine scald.

No solutions I'm afraid. Any changes to diet? Good luck at the vets :wave:

Back