• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hector and weightloss

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Hector has always been skinny, as you can see from the photos, but over the past week the weight has just dropped off him, and I realised I was hugging a skeleton.

So this morning a vets visit was on the agenda. He's had his blood taken, and they took a poo sample that I lovingly collected for them! ;) He's eating normally, which is a bit worrying. They couldn't "feel" what was wrong with him, but exclaimed that he is basically a skeleton. (I want to stress that it literally happened over a couple of days, and then I made the appointment on Friday for today.)

I've upped his food intake, and have barley rings for him. I'm going to do some porridge for him. Is there anything else I should do. It'll take over a week for the bloods to come back, and I do worry that if he loses an ounce more we'll be in serious trouble. This morning I went in to say morning, and his muscles were finding it hard to keep his GIANT ears up. :(

For those who don't know Hector is a Conti x papillon.

Hi Ali.
Let him scoff to his hearts content but really minimize his wanderings.Ive found this with Roland.He was 1.88 when he arrived here, but now hes 1.50.Has the whole garden to freerange.Ian reckons alls well...just perhaps Roly was a bit porky due to hutch confinement at the rescue.
Hope the fella is well and no surprises.xxx

Hi Ali.
Let him scoff to his hearts content but really minimize his wanderings.Ive found this with Roland.He was 1.88 when he arrived here, but now hes 1.50.Has the whole garden to freerange.Ian reckons alls well...just perhaps Roly was a bit porky due to hutch confinement at the rescue.
Hope the fella is well and no surprises.xxx

By weightloss I mean there is literally nothing left to him. He's probably less than 2kg.... (and he's a giant.):? I've started keeping him locked in his indoor cage at night...which I never did before.

:wave:I understood what you meant but i was explaining wanderings being kerbed may help a bit.xxx

:wave:I understood what you meant but i was explaining wanderings being kerbed may help a bit.xxx

I'll try and keep him sedate, but I don't want him to lose any more muscle, so it's a toughie. :?

I'll try to get some pictures of him later. :(

Back