• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Typical he's Deaf!

willowflower27

Mama Doe
What to do? Finlay was at vet today and he a perfectly healthy happy little bun how i love to bits but he is deaf i never experienced a deaf bunny. Obviously not gonna make huge difference but he's quite skittish how do i get him used to me approaching him will stamping my feet work? any advice on deaf bunnies?

I have had a bunny that was deaf,i always made sure he saw me without startling him.I went up behind him a few times(before i knew he was deaf)and got a couple of nasty bites.

No experience with deaf bunnies but I would have thought stamping your feet is not a good idea, bunnies in the wild stamp their feet to alert their loved ones of danger, not only hearing the thump but he would be able to feel the vibrations on the floor so I dont think it would help.

You say 'typical' on your title, why is that ?

Is he entirely deaf ? I know there are people on here with deaf rabbits, who will offer some advice, but I agree on the 'stamping foot' thing. If he isn't totally deaf then it will just be a bang that will startle him, if he is totally deaf then he won't hear it anyway just as he'd not hear you approaching without stamping. I suspect the key to not alarming him is having him see you before you get to him !

i think Alvin is deaf. i either turn a light on to let him know im there or i dont approach him until his eyes are facing my way.. so when hes grooming i have to wait. ive tried shouting and clapping but he really dont hear

even being extra slow and careful to be seen, he usually runs accross the cage when he sees my shadow, makes me feel awful but its hard to see through walls what hes doing :(

its good because he has no fear of the hoover, and hes quite good with vets visits too. hes more relaxed in some ways but it really is my approach that scares the hell outta him

yeah he gave me a few bites and scratches before we found out today thank you to my vet how gave him full check over and noticed that he couldn't hear a flipping thing only really discovered this after she dropped everything and he didn't flinch so she did some further noise response tests and ZIP not a reaction. It's slightly problematic as i usually get ava to come to me by clicking fingers but finlay has no clue so he's proving a little difficult training him

Pearl was the way i got Alvins attention. call her and he would come running too :love::love::love:

bit harder now holly refuses to acknowlwdge me.

i hit the floor with a treat in my hand, that gets him over no trouble at all :D:D

i've had a few issues with my bunnies recently lost dillon and jamesey in quick succession and ava being a bit picky food wise at the moment was really hoping Finlay would be fine without issues and i know being deaf isn't a huge issue but training him is the difficulty at the moment as he's going through the puberty chewing digging and spraying everywhere and approaching him is an absolute nightmare

Although as donnamt said he's great doesn't bother at dog's barking, vet trips or thunder i'm sure i'll work it out but bit more of a problem than i was looking for but he's well worth it i adore him me and him will just have to come to an agreement. Given his personality even if he could hear wouldn't listen to me anyway :lol:

Hows his eyesight?

I can't work out from your last post if hes completly deaf or not, if he is stamping won't do a thing and if he isn't your going to starle and scare him even more. For a deaf bunny suddenly a short sharp sound near them isn't much fun.

Haveing a rabbit with poor sight in her remaining eye and minimal hearing its about learning to adapt.

Make sure he can see you comeing, training doesn't have to be done by voice commands, Honey reconises hand gestures and movement for what I want her to do.

I thought Keith had gone deaf after his op on friday, turned out he was just ignoring me!

How long have you had him? Once he gets secure in his surroundings skittishness should decrease.

Bless him!

totally deaf his sight is fine can see well he tends to see all the shadows and stuff that ava no longer can't as she's gone blind she's kinda acting like his ears and he her eyes
if that makes sense

i've had a few issues with my bunnies recently lost dillon and jamesey in quick succession and ava being a bit picky food wise at the moment was really hoping Finlay would be fine without issues and i know being deaf isn't a huge issue but training him is the difficulty at the moment as he's going through the puberty chewing digging and spraying everywhere and approaching him is an absolute nightmare

Although as donnamt said he's great doesn't bother at dog's barking, vet trips or thunder i'm sure i'll work it out but bit more of a problem than i was looking for but he's well worth it i adore him me and him will just have to come to an agreement. Given his personality even if he could hear wouldn't listen to me anyway :lol:

hehehe i never understood why shouting no or clapping didnt stop the wallpaper chewing yet when i got pearl she cowered at raised voices, hoovers and dogs and TV...
i resorted to a spray bottle and a shock of water to his bum moved him along. altho he was demonic right up until i got Pearl to occupy him, alvin is the reason i will never have a baby bunny again :lol::lol:

if your on floorboard stamping will vibrate the floor and he will know your about then, we used to bang the floor to get him come but now the handwaving/banging works :D

My bunny Starbuck is deaf, diagnosed by the vet. He is on a concrete based floor (with carpet on) so doesnt feel any vibrations.

The main trick is not to startle him, to approach when he is looking in the right direction and approach slowly and make sure he has seen me. As Donnamt sadi, make sure that he is looking up first and if he is cleaning himself you just have to wait as it will really spook him otherwise. He doesnt really get startled so much now, he is used to us being around and if he does get startled he has places to hide and feel safe - not that he generally needs too!

The other thing is to make no sudden movements as it startles him, no hands suddenly near him or moving his things - he very much likes things left where they are!

He will come over for treats and if we wave our hand near the floor, he comes over to investigate. But mostly he is very happy and doesnt get disturbed by any loud noises in the house or outside, including the hoover.

Lastly I always try to give him more tactile attention whereas the others I can talk to them, coo over them or sing (torture!!! :lol:) but Starby needs more tactile affection I think. Physical contact soothes him. He is such a darling and he is so special.

Back