• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thumping

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hi everyone. One of my bunnies thumps a lot at apparently nothing. There’s no trigger that we can identify.

He lives alone in our living room and we spend most of the day with him. He’s 12 years old, deaf and blind, but otherwise healthy.

He’ll sometimes thump a few times, then immediately flump out. I find this very confusing! If he thought there was danger surely he wouldn’t immediately relax afterwards?

He also sometimes thumps in his sleep but doesn’t wake up.

Do anyone else’s bunnies do this?

Could be a sign of dementia
I have known Rabbits to thump in their sleep and wake themselves up, immediately eating a cecotroph. My theory being that the sensation of passing a cecotroph prompts an involuntary thump.

Could be a sign of dementia
I have known Rabbits to thump in their sleep and wake themselves up, immediately eating a cecotroph. My theory being that the sensation of passing a cecotroph prompts an involuntary thump.

Hmm, yes, I have wondered if he has dementia. Sometimes he seems to forget where his food goes even though I am careful to put everything in the same place for him as he can’t see.

He may also be feeling some vibrations through the floor, for example, that spook him. Washing machine, people walking around, loud music, etc; strange smells, even. If he's blind, deaf & elderly, maybe he's really just not sure about what's going on around him and thumps just in case, as that's what rabbits do.

He may also be feeling some vibrations through the floor, for example, that spook him. Washing machine, people walking around, loud music, etc; strange smells, even. If he's blind, deaf & elderly, maybe he's really just not sure about what's going on around him and thumps just in case, as that's what rabbits do.

I had thought it might be this until we had some building work done that shook the entire house. I’d been really worried about it and was poised to evacuate if he seemed stressed. He pretty much slept through the wall below him being removed!

Back