• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elongated Tooth Roots

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
My bunny has been diagnosed with this today :(

Please can anyone with experience give me advice as to how this can be managed so she can have a happy life rather than be PTS.

I am seeing the vet at 5.20pm and need to know what options are a possibility so that I can ask if we can try them for Twinkle.

Many thanks

Hi,

When two of my previous bunnies were diagnosed with overgrown roots, they were put on quite a hefty dose of metacam initially to try and help with any pain and to get them eating again, but the overgrown roots were only part of their problem as they had overgrown crowns and spurs too.

Are all the molar roots affected? It can really help if you can get get to see the x-ray your vet took and to know if the roots are in danger of getting infected or close to abscess etc. With my bunnies they were quite elderly at the time and you could feel the roots underneath the chin, some of them were quite long but they never actually got any infections/abscess. They did however, have to go in for regular dentals to control spurs/crowns and were on metacam for quite a while to help with pain relief (from various issues).

Fingers crossed for you that the news isn't too bad, good luck.

Sue x

I am going in to see the x ray and discuss at 5.20pm today.

I am now going to discuss management of this condition rather than the PTS I was assuming earlier... I am hoping I can get this under control for Twinkle.

As I mentioned on your other thread, regular Dentals under GA to burr the crowns down to gum level can help reduce the rate of root elongation.

Good pain relief is essential.

Tooth root elongation increases the risk of jaw abscesses so you need to ask your Vet what to look out for re this.

Eye infections can also occur due to the tooth roots blocking the nasolacrimal ducts.

Symptoms of 'Snuffles' can occur if the tooth roots penetrate the nasal passages. This would require longterm management with abx.

As I mentioned on your other thread, regular Dentals under GA to burr the crowns down to gum level can help reduce the rate of root elongation.

Good pain relief is essential.

Tooth root elongation increases the risk of jaw abscesses so you need to ask your Vet what to look out for re this.

Eye infections can also occur due to the tooth roots blocking the nasolacrimal ducts.

Symptoms of 'Snuffles' can occur if the tooth roots penetrate the nasal passages. This would require longterm management with abx.

Thank you Jane - she did get mucky eyes a few weeks back before all this came to light and vet said it was just an infection. It is all making sense now.. the continual mucky bum (even though her teeth were checked) was always just put down to a "sensitive tummy".

Thank you Jane - she did get mucky eyes a few weeks back before all this came to light and vet said it was just an infection. It is all making sense now.. the continual mucky bum (even though her teeth were checked) was always just put down to a "sensitive tummy".

Unfortunately Nethies are prone to ETRs xx

Vet thinks we have no option than to PTS :cry:

Her teeth roots are growing into her eye sockets. She wont eat on her own even on painkiller. She is only eating dandelion leaves and banana, but that makes her mucky bum dreadful so she has horrendous soft poops.

I cant see how she can carry on, if I have to syringe feed her every day, all day long, as I have to work. I cant keep her at the vets every day as that is no life.

I cant see any way out of this :cry:

Her teeth roots are growing into her eye sockets. She wont eat on her own even on painkiller. She is only eating dandelion leaves and banana, but that makes her mucky bum dreadful so she has horrendous soft poops.

I cant see how she can carry on, if I have to syringe feed her every day, all day long, as I have to work. I cant keep her at the vets every day as that is no life.

I am so sorry :cry: The problem is obviously very advanced :cry: Have they taken the crowns of the teeth down to gum level ? What analgesia is she on and at what dose ?

I am so sorry the problem has become so bad. Tooth roots are so :censored:

We had the same problem with Fuzzy's roots growing into the eye socket, we were able to control the pain for a short while but unfortunately the end wasn't pleasant for him and happened very suddenly :cry::cry:

If you are confident that you have a very good rabbit savvy vet, then sadly his suggestion may be the kindest option :(

I'm so sorry too. I have the same problem with Robert, although my vet has removed the offending tooth and the bottom corresponding one. I will have to wait and see how this goes. Wishing you lots of strength, it's such a hard problem to deal with. x

I'm so sorry :cry: as others have said it sounds rather advanced doesn't it. I have commented on your other thread but only just seen this one now. I think you will need to have a long discussion about what to do with your vet to make sure you really have covered every option first before making any decisions. I'm really hoping Twinkle can be comfortable on pain relief and stay with you a little longer. x

Back