• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Manuka Honey

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Having read that this is great for healing, I think I would like to get some to add to Jimby's medi box. Where can I purchase this from?

supermarkets and health stores its not cheap, so would be a waste if you are just stocking up, your better off eating it as well :lol:

It usually has quite a long date, so you could add some to the box, but it is very expensive to get a decent (high UMF) one. Holland and Barrett do a good range.

:lol: Ok so it is widely accessable then, ok I will not worry about keeping it in stock in that case. Thankyou.

It usually has quite a long date, so you could add some to the box, but it is very expensive to get a decent (high UMF) one. Holland and Barrett do a good range.

In that case, I may add some actually, which one would you recommend from Holland and Barrett?

My vet provided me some at a very good price. When that ran out I found exactly the same product on ebay for a few pounds. It's the same medical grade but don't put it on your toast!!!!!

The one that I got from the vets yesterday says it should be used within four days of opening? :?

I got mine in Holland & Barratt, Spirits Bay Manuka Honet 25+ UMF.
Yes, it is expensive, but it is fantastic.

It cleared up Kermit's abscess really well and now ive been using it on Inca's woman bits and its doing great.

I used this for Kermit, then put it away for about 6 months and used it for Inca.

The expiry date on mine is 2013, so i think that if you bought it then it would be fine for a long time.

Hmmm maybe I'm being cynical towards the makers of mine but I'm guessing they just say that as a bit of a money making scheme.

I'll definatly be keeping it for a lot longer than the four days then! :lol:

Hmmm maybe I'm being cynical towards the makers of mine but I'm guessing they just say that as a bit of a money making scheme.

I'll definatly be keeping it for a lot longer than the four days then! :lol:

I've had mine in the fridge for months and i still works :D

Golly gosh! :shock: I wouldnt be either! :lol:
Thank you, thats great!
Stupid question, this is not suitable for human consumption is it? :oops:

Just to point out that the medical grade one is UMF 12+, whereas the H&B one is UMF 25+, so although its dearer, its more than double the UMF.

One of our buns had a biopsy for a lump behind her front right leg which was diagnosed as panniculitis. As the area was left open to permit irrigation I asked my vet if it could be dressed with manuka honey. His view was that the honey would heal quickly from the outside which would not benefit as it would seal in the necrotic fat, but said if it had been an ulcer or abscess it might be beneficial as he had previously successfully treated an ulcer on a dog's leg with the honey.

It can be eaten, but at its price I wouldn't think too many would be spreading it on toast. UMF stands for 'Unique Manuka Factor" and is an industry trademark.

Back