• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Sitter - a few care questions

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hiya

I wonder if you could help me, since we've been looking after Mitzy I noticed that her back legs and bum were a funny colour but wasn't really sure why ........ anyhow last night I saw why!

When I put her back in her hutch she immediately went over to her newspaper and did one of the biggest wee's I've ever seen ....... anyhow, the newspaper didn't absorb it straight away and she just sat in it .... back legs and bum all dunked in wee ..... this is obviously where the staining has come from.

I've just kept the same hutch set up as her previous owners because its what she's used to but a friend of mine has now given me some cat litter which I thought I might try because it would be more absorbant ........is this ok for bunnies?? I thought about just putting a layer on top of her newspaper in her usual spot and see if she uses it.

The other question is about bathing her ....... how do I do it? I've heard that a rabbit's urine is very strong and can irritate the skin, I'd hate to think that she was uncomfortable or in pain so I'd really like to give her a bath to get rid of the staining.

Problem is, she doesn't like being picked up, she's a proper wriggle bum and is really quite strong!

I'd really appreciate any advice/suggestions/ideas you could give me ..... I just want her to be happy and healthy, it was awful seeing her sat in a river of wee!

Thanks, Jo (& Mitzy) x

Cat litter is ok but only as long as it is the non-clumping kind. The clumping kind is too dusty for them. The wood pellet kind is fine.

Thanks, yes its the non-clumping kind. My friend told me that she's just started using wood pellets for her cat and really likes them so I'll try and pick some of those up this weekend.

In regards to bathing her, make sure you do not emerge her fully in the water, just give her a botty bath, I think you can get a shampoo which is suitable for use on bunnies but having never used any I am unable to advise.
Once you have washed her bum make sure you try her off as much as possible.

Hi, lots of us use litter trays for our buns. Just get a cat litter tray or other low sided plastic tub of a suitable size for your rabbits accomodation - I use large storage tubs with low sides from Wilkinsons, about £4 each. I use newspaper in the bottom then top with masses of hay (bought by the bale £4 from a horse feed store) then the buns can sit and munch hay, wee and poop and its all contained - the tray is easy to lift out, empty and refill daily.

Thanks, there is some bunnie shampoo in amongst the gear she arrived with so I think that we'll have a go this weekend.

Any other top tips?? I think its going to be a 2 person job!!

x

Hi yes definitely a two person job to minimise stress for you & her :)

I agree with previous comments re. a litter tray its soooo much easier for you and will nicer/cleaner for her. You just lift the whole thing out and empty it each day. I use an old square washing up bowl but you can buy special corner shaped ones for buns :D

Well done for asking for help & advice :)

Thanks ........ do you think she's likely to use the litter tray if I put it where her newspaper normally is .... she's about 2 yrs old and from what I can gather has always been used to the current set up (which is why I didn't change it but the more reading I do the more helpful ideas I find).

Is there anything I can do to encourage her to use it?

Thanks for all your advice so far ..... its great being able to ask things as I'm constantly paranoid I'm doing the wrong thing!

It sounds like you are doing a great job so stop worrying! :wave:
We use a corner potty from pets at home for Jims.
The best thing to do is pop the tray in her 'usual' toilet spot, if you find she is going in other places in the hutch then gather all all the poops and wee and pop it in the tray so she will get the hint that is where it should go.

It's ever so easy, have a go - you've nothing to loose :D

It took Inca about 2 minutes to work out where she needed to poop and the foster bun my MIL had at the beginning of the week was doing his business in the washing up bowl within 30 mins. If you do as Rachylou suggests I'd be very surprised if yr bun doesn't get the hint and go for the potty within a few hours :lol: be sure to put some hay in though, they like to chew on the go ;)

Excellent, thanks, looks like a trip to pets at home is on the cards this weekend too.... she could do with some more toys anyway!

I fear I may be getting very attached to Mitzy, she's such a sweet thing ...I'll be ever so upset when she goes!

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-pet-wood-litter-7ltr-by-pets-at-home-15786 - This litter is safe for bunnies, just make sure she does not eat a lot of it as anything like this CAN cause a blockage if injested too much.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/litter-tray-by-clean-n-tidy-26666 - we do not use the rim. These come in 3 different sizes, we use the small one as an extra hay box, a medium one for the main hay box and the large corner potty which I can not find on the website as his potty.

Brilliant, thanks, that's a big help... there's a P@H just up the road from me.

I'm hoping this is good practice too ......... even OH is really taken with Mitzy.... so, fingers crossed!!

:D

Back