• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to feed with a syringe???

Dandelion101

Young Bun
Hi all,

Any advice on how to feed a bunny with a syringe, the vet sugessted i try that with Pickles as he seems to be ok just maybe a bit of an ifection so he's on antibiotics but still not eating.

Amanda xxx
worried bunny mum

You usually place the plastic tip of the syringe into the side of their mouth. This is because they have a gap between their front teeth and their chewing teeth. Squeeze a little bit out and then let them swallow it before you squeeze some more.

You usually place the plastic tip of the syringe into the side of their mouth. This is because they have a gap between their front teeth and their chewing teeth. Squeeze a little bit out and then let them swallow it before you squeeze some more.

as above also try tempting him with things that smell like corriander parsley grated carrot, mashed up pellets in warm water, baby food such as hipp red berry and compote you can feed this off a spoon of in a saucer if he will lap it up(most buns will) also try poridge oats soaked in warm water often another bunny favourite...sometimes adding a tiny tiny amount of honey sweetens it, are the antibiotics oral? is it baytril? this is very very bitter tasting so buns often dont like it some people hide it in a slice of apple or in baby food or add a small amount of neat ribena in it so bun fights less when you have to give it,
also like jane i agree metacam (the usual pain relief given) is essential to any ill bun x

put the tip in the side of your bunny's mouth and inject (?) the
medicine/substance.

if your bunny gives you any trouble, try making em into a bunny burrito with
a towel or blanket. :]

had to do assist feeding for my netherland dwarf for a month.
she was not pleased.

You want to place the syringe at the back of their lips. Their big teeth are in the front and you could crack a tooth.

I HIGHLY suggest buying the Syringe Mixes that they use for bunnies. I always keep a pack in my freezer. 40cc's a day of the stuff will keep your rabbit healthy, and it's extremely important to syringe feed a rabbit who is in pain and stops eating- or any rabbit not eating for that matter.

As someone else said. A bunny burrito is almost always neccessary unless you have handled rabbits a lot and can slip him into a trance on his back and then syringe feed him when he comes out of it content and comfortable (still on his back). This is for rabbits who can easily be handled and like the taste of the Syringe Mixes. I've only seen one rabbit in person who would do this.

make sure you make your bunny burrito correctly, if you are not pinching the back of the burrito hard enough then the rabbit has a bit of room to kick his back legs and he can hurt himself. As long as you keep that burrito tight then they shouldn't be able to move, and they will eventually accept what you are trying to do with a little bit of resistance. They are smart animals and quickly figure out the faster they deal with whatever big human man is trying to do to them, the faster they can go eat hay in their litter box and lay flat in their favorite spot.

Wally, where do you get the syringe mixes from, I have am having problems with my snowy who has EC. She is getting very thin and I am not getting enough calories into her

Back