• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A question of poo

Stator

Warren Veteran
Does anyone else find it really hard monitoring poo output? Most of the time it sits on top of the hay but sometimes they mess things about and it gets a bit buried. I think some of my buns might have a bit of an upset tummy though, I don't think there is as much poo as normal. They all seem lively enough, just a bit less poo than normal and some of them are a bit messy/stringy. I threw away the current vegetables I was feeding them just in case and got some new ones, but that didn't seem to help. They eat all their vegetables last night and their breakfast and eat their treats at lunch. I'm wondering if they're just eating a bit less of the hay, maybe the supplier of hay changed. I know this is a bit of a meandering post, what sort of reduction in poo output would normally concern you? 50% ? 25% ?

Any change in bowel movements should be monitured closely, a drop in poo quantity can indicate the onset on statis.
The stingy poo you mentioned could be due to injesting fur, buns are going through a heavy moult this time of year so they are bound to be gobbling a bit more fur than usual.
If you do not think they are eating as much hay as they used to then it may be worth changing the hay as obviously that is an incredibly important part of their diet.
Keep some poo in a bag to take with you to the vets so they can hopefully put your mind at ease.

hhmm, id say id be worred if bailey reduced by half and didnt pick up back to normal within a day or 2, the stringyness is mostlikeley hair, baileys a house bunn so im pretty sure she ingests some of my hair as she has a habit of licking my duvet:?, ive just started to give her a quick brush everyday and it seems to of stoped, the stringyness.
x

Well they usually have a choice of 3 hays, the jollyes hay in the litter tray, some timothy hay in one hay rack and some excel forrage in another hay rack. I've just been to P@H and got some of the really expensive stuff, some excel herbage and their standard hay. They are going to have hay choices coming out of their ears. Also got some prebiotic to put in their drinking water to see if that helps, not all of the poos are stringy, there are some uneaten cc's too and others just a little bit sticky. Why do rabbits have to be so hard to look after :? Give me a computer to fix anyday.

Lol yes but can a computer give you loving nose rubs? :D
It could be too much veg or too many pellets, what quantities are you feeding?

Lol yes but can a computer give you loving nose rubs? :D
It could be too much veg or too many pellets, what quantities are you feeding?

Hah, my bunnies hate me, they are half wild and don't ever come to me for attention, the only time they come close is for the treats and then they run away half the time :lol:

I think we've had quite a bit of poo overnight and a lot less messy ones than last time. Not quite sure what helped though, they might have been eating the extra expensive hay or maybe the probiotic helped (although they didn't drink much, they never do).

I too have a bunny who is prone to a sticky butt!! Her little husband is fine but the general advice I have been given by the vet and other kind experts is that they shouldn't eat too many pellets they should eat loads of hay and it could also be the cabbage and broccoli so cut way back on that. I read the back of the Bruges bag and it says that as a rough guide, a rabbit should eat about the size of it's head (I'm assuming without fur!!) in pellets and the size of it's body in hay every day with some fruit/veg aswell. I'm new to bunnies so I'm following this advice. Hope that helps. I have noticed a reduction in the sticky butt syndrome but still not perfect. It's like having two little fluffy babies to look after!! At least you can fix a computer - I can't seem to do either!!

Back