• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent advice needed

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
my house rabbit has what looks like big lumps of dandruff. We've just moved so I thought it might be plaster that he'd knocked against but 3 days later it is still there. I'm booked into vets in morning just wanted to know what you think it might be as the new vet may not be vet savvy, and if there is anything i can do tonight to make Binky more comfortable. I think he is scratching as the fur has thinned. The area is very specific about 2cm on the top of his back. sorry but my boyfriend is away for work and with the building works am feeling overwhelmed as i am so busy at work i was unable to sort out today. I want the best for my rabbits and now feel like a bad mum.

he's up to date on all his vaccinations, about 6 weeks ago he had something which caused his face to change and he went to the vets a lot but had medicine and the vet said his brain waves may rebuild. sorry cant remember what it was i think some kind of infection. the bits of dandruff are not moving. thank you for replying if it is mites apart from vets what should i do?

If it is mites mention it to the vet vet. They will do what's called a "tape test" where they put a piece of sellotape over a flakey patch and look at the contents under a microscope. They will then prescribe Ivermectin either as a paste to apply or they will give an injection.

His livinng space should then be given a good scrub and all bedding disposed of/washed, whichever is appropriate for type. It's not a serious problem but one which should be treated.

thank you. binky lives with smudge another rescue rabbit. I always take them to the vets together - she has white fur so would be difficult to see dandruff, should she be treated too? if it is mites how would binky have got them?

thank you. binky lives with smudge another rescue rabbit. I always take them to the vets together - she has white fur so would be difficult to see dandruff, should she be treated too? if it is mites how would binky have got them?

That is nice and easy if she has white fur. Mites are a brownish colour so you can see them nicely in white fur. You have to look carefully though as they are really small, much smaller than lice and fleas if you have ever seen one of those. They will appear as really small brown flecks almost like dust and if you manage to pick one up you may see it move.

definitely going to vets tomorrow earliest appointment was 10.45 just worried in case not rabbit savvy as new to area, although they were recommended. also just wondered if anything i could do tonight, although binky is running eating drinking and i think pooing.

Nothing you can do really, it's a just a bit like when kids get headlice. Can't really do a lot for them until the pharmacy opens and same for buns with mites assuming it is mites.

thank you sorry but am on own don't have kids, and just want the best for my rabbits. not very experienced so feel a bit inadequate. thank you.,

Hi,

Just had my rabbit to the vets on Tuesday with mites. Looked like white flaky bits, but if you look REALLY closely you might see little black speks, and if you stare for long enough you might catch them movng. The vet did the tape test and told me that he had the mites (I saw one under the microscope....shouldnt have looked!!)

Anyway, I had already bought a spot on treatment from the petshop and had used it once. Turns out that is pretty much what the vet would prescribe and was killing the little :censored:!!

Just thought Id share. I was getting bitten too! ouch!

thank you sorry but am on own don't have kids, and just want the best for my rabbits. not very experienced so feel a bit inadequate. thank you.,

Don't feel inadequate, you spotted something was wrong (further than most get), are here asking for help and you are taking them to the vets to get it sorted. Quite the opposite of inadequate IMO :wave:

By the way. I have a fair few kids, they all have fur ;)

It sounds like mites and your other rabbit may not get them, It could be caused through you moving house (a little stressed). I recently moved house and one of mine got mites but his partner didn't get them. Don't worry your bun will be fine:D

Went to the vets and she couldn't see any mites, but thought that the dandruff was caused by them. So she administered some ivermectin paste and we're going back in 2 weeks for the injection. I've been told to keep them seperate today so that they don't lick each others medicine off. So I've got two cages next to each other so that they can still see each other and smell each other. Then I'll put them back together this afternoon. hope this wont spoil their bond?

Went to the vets and she couldn't see any mites, but thought that the dandruff was caused by them. So she administered some ivermectin paste and we're going back in 2 weeks for the injection. I've been told to keep them seperate today so that they don't lick each others medicine off. So I've got two cages next to each other so that they can still see each other and smell each other. Then I'll put them back together this afternoon. hope this wont spoil their bond?

I wouldn't separate a bonded pair unless absolutely necessary and it isn't for mite treatment in most cases. I have treated my pair with spot-on ivermectin and did not need to separate. You just need to prevent them licking each other for a couple of hours, by which time the active ingredient will have mostly absorbed into the skin and it will be fine. I have not come across anyone who's bun has had digestive upset from licking a bit of Xeno450 after it has dried. I would apply the next dose in the evening when you can supervise licking and grooming, also apply to very back of head so they can't reach it themselves. If it is too difficult to stop them then as you say, have the injection as an alternative next time. :)
Best way to prevent a bun self or mutual grooming....food distraction! Some tasty hay, veggies and toys to play with :)

ETA just re read your post...sorry I read that in a hurry. I see that you are putting them back together this avo - that should be fine. :)

Back