• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poisonous plant urgent help needed

Bunnymum4

Young Bun
I'm absolutely jinxed and devastated. I have 2 outdoor buns teddy died a month ago we never got to the bottom of why, vet said cocidia but I never agreed and meds didn't work. We have lived in our house with same plants for 3 years so bunnies always eaten leaves in garden. Today I noticed my lone boy eating a Berry. I grabbed off him but evidently under the bush lots of eaten ones. Now I plant id d the plant on an app, it says cherry laurel. I'm actually physically shaking as it says highly poisonous all parts. My rabbits have been eating this bush for 3 years never gave it a second thought. Now iv locked my boy away but obviously fir 3 years he's been eating leaves and berries..do you think this killed my teddy? How quickly would poisoning kick in. I'm so confused and when I thought I couldn't hurt more than I do. Now I feel even more guilt. I feel ill. Please help

You need to contact the vet urgently to get advice. I would take a sample of the plant to the vet to show them.

If you think he may have consumed something poisonous you NEED to contact a vet, nobody on here can offer any practical help. Rabbits can't vomit so he would need help to process any toxins and may need medical oversight.

Urgent help can only be obtained by contacting your vet. It will be necessary to obtain an accurate identification as different plants will have different toxicity levels.

Both my outdoor bunnys fed for 3 years on this bush which is cherry laurel. I had no idea this was toxic and they ate the leaves daily (hence I obviously thought it safe), I'm now just wandering if this is what made my boy so poorly. Its being.chopped down tomorrow and now I will never know.im devastated

Good idea to chop it down for your peace of mind whether or not it contributed to your bunny's illness.
Bunnies can become ill from many different things that could have resulted in Teddy's demise and often we never know for sure. One thing we do know is that you gave Teddy the best possible care.
I agree with other posts that you need to contact a vet to ask how much a healthy bunny must consume of the suspected poison, what treatment is recommended, and what symptoms the poison can cause.

Good idea to chop it down for your peace of mind whether or not it contributed to your bunny's illness.
Bunnies can become ill from many different things that could have resulted in Teddy's demise and often we never know for sure. One thing we do know is that you gave Teddy the best possible care.
I agree with other posts that you need to contact a vet to ask how much a healthy bunny must consume of the suspected poison, what treatment is recommended, and what symptoms the poison can cause.

Thank you. I will never know. Its strange iv read its highly toxic so why it would take 3 years to have effect im hoping this wasn't the cause of teds sickness. I'm actually baffled how something I'm reading is highly toxic why on earth someone would plant this as a hedge. I'm.devaststed.

Many plants are toxic to rabbits - ivy, evergreen plants, anything from a bulb, onion / garlic, etc. Rabbits usually don't touch them, or you can fence them off (eg with chicken wire or puppy run panels) so they don't have access to them. FHB says that poisoning from outdoor plants is quite rare, but houseplants cause more issues.

Thank you. I will never know. Its strange iv read its highly toxic so why it would take 3 years to have effect im hoping this wasn't the cause of teds sickness. I'm actually baffled how something I'm reading is highly toxic why on earth someone would plant this as a hedge. I'm.devaststed.

I don't want to frighten you, but many plant toxins will cause damage to organs eg liver, kidney over a long period of time, so you wouldn't necessarily observe a problem with the rabbit, but the rabbit's system will slowly be weakened. I would really urge you to take your rabbit to the vet if he has been eating Cherry Laurel berries. The vet could then advise what needs to be done.

I would also make sure that any other plants in the garden can be accurately identified as being safe for rabbits.

Is this the rabbit with the weepy eye? If so, you could get the vet to examine his eye while you are there.

I would also have a think about your hedge. Is this a perimeter hedge and if so, you will obviously need to replace it with something before your rabbit can free range the garden. Also I would get the Laurel identified accurately. There are several different Laurels and they are not all as toxic to rabbits.

Last edited:
I don't want to frighten you, but many plant toxins will cause damage to organs eg liver, kidney over a long period of time, so you wouldn't necessarily observe a problem with the rabbit, but the rabbit's system will slowly be weakened. I would really urge you to take your rabbit to the vet if he has been eating Cherry Laurel berries. The vet could then advise what needs to be done.

I would also make sure that any other plants in the garden can be accurately identified as being safe for rabbits.

Is this the rabbit with the weepy eye? If so, you could get the vet to examine his eye while you are there.

I would also have a think about your hedge. Is this a perimeter hedge and if so, you will obviously need to replace it with something before your rabbit can free range the garden. Also I would get the Laurel identified accurately. There are several different Laurels and they are not all as toxic to rabbits.

Excellent advice from Omi.

The tree has gone along with every leaf in sight. There is a fence with topper behind it. I cant let myself believe it was this that killed my ted as it doesn't add up at all. But more reasons to blame myself now. Like I say he was diagnosed with coccidia. I read cherry laurel contains cyanide and a ladies rabbit that ate leaves over 2 days sadly died, its a far stretch it took 3 years for it to affect him. My boy with weepy eye goes vet Thursday! New bond for outdoor bun starts mid September. Thanks for everyone's help during my month of heartbreak. Like most people on here I'd lay my life down for my fur babies x

Massive update. Thank you so much to above post. Saying different laurels I didn't know. As I'm up at 2am researching poison plants it was a bay laurel!! Not a cherry laurel. Im certain looking at images!! Thank god and explained why they managed to eat it for so long. Ted wasn't poisoned thank god.im glad bush gone anyway. I knew it didn't make sense I do tend to panic. Thanks guys this site has got me through a lot x

Back