• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

no fur on neck and head any ideas??????

amme

Warren Scout
what may be causing it...
items he has for it without any success.

spot on for mites
dermisol cream twice a day for 1 week
Baytril solution for 5 days.
and an antibiotic injection last week.

It started on his neck and is now spreading to his head!!!!!!!

head
buggs002.jpg

neck
buggs001.jpg

It was a while ago but somebody had a bunny with this.Try search.Sorry im of no help.

My first thought would be mites. Did you give the spot-on treatment 3 times, each approximately 10-14 days apart?

Is there any flakey skin?

the vet gave spot on once, and no there is no flaky skin. I am only asking as they want to charge £100 for a biopsy on him next week!!!! and if he dosnt need it then i would rather him not, as he was only castrated last week, i dont really want him going under again.

Oooh, wow, that's rather strange. :shock: Probably not much help buuuutttt, is this bunny in with another one? I have a neutered pair and my female over grooms the male on the back of his neck/top of his head and he occasionally gets a little bald patch between his ears. No where near as bald as your bunny though. :( I think maybe it'd be a good idea to get the vet to do the biopsy. Especially with the weather getting colder now. Whatever it is, I hope it gets sorted! :)

Mite treatment needs to be given three times.

It can either be injected once a week for three weeks, or spot on once every 10-14days for three times.

My Herbie recently had mites, and they never cleared up until after his third injection.

Your vets should be able to take a skin scraping and check under a microscope to see if it is mites.

Other than that i dunno!

Scooch had something like this (although not as big) and the vet suspected ringworm, so take her to the vet asap :) It's very easily treated

i have taken him to a differnet vet for a second opinion, and they are treating him for mites at the momnet, but with the correct spot on and dosage, as the previous vets didnt weigh my bunny before giving spot on and only gave me one capsule where he needed 2 capsules!!! I shall give the spot on a go over the next few weeks with this new vet, and if this dosnt work then i'll give him the biopsy. - the poor thing.

Last edited:
no fur on neck and head any ideas

Sorry I dont know what it could be other than an abcess, I dont think there would necessarily be any visible wound or scar. Good luck at the vets.

Back