• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will neutering help?

yokobunbun

New Kit
Hello, this is my first post so I'm not really sure if this is the place to put this, but I had a little situation that I was hoping people could shed some light on.
I have an older bunny who dosen't play well with my other four bunnies, he's very aggressive and mates in a very rough manner. I was against this, but it seems as though neutering was the option I had left, would neutering my little fella make him less aggresive because his behaviour is really becoming a problem. He attacks one of the other male rabbits and has made him bleed and is aggressive when trying to mate with the females, he bites them and leaves bumps on them. I had him seperated in a cage on his own but he got out and began chasing the other bunnies causing them to hide on a shelf.
Also, I do have him in a place on his own where he cant do any harm, so don't worry.

Please if you have any information assist me.
Thank-you.

Last edited:
Yes it would definately reduce his aggresive behaviour. It's possible he still won't get on with other males, but once neutered he should get on okay with females and he will stop humping them so much.

Hello! Yes neutering will definitely be best for him. From the sound of it you are allowing a group of unneutered rabbits to play together?

Rabbits shouldn't "play" together really - they need to be neutered so that there aren't hundreds of pregnancies, and allowed to live together all the time. You should never, ever allow unneutered males in particular to 'play' together - they will fight and cause serious injury to each other - in fact they can even kill each other.

Having said this, rabbits are social creatures so it is very unkind to keep on putting them together and separating them, and allowing them to 'play' and keep getting pregnant in this way is not good for their welfare. It's far kinder to bond them properly into a social group and allow them to live together all the time -but this requires neutering to prevent pregnancy.

Rabbits that are put together then separated constantly are also likely to become very stressed and this will make them sick. Unneutered rabbits are territorial and you are more likely to actually be making them very unhappy by allowing them out together. The only real solution is to neuter at least all the males, and to either bond them all as a group to live together permanently with no risk of pregnancy, or to bond them into pairs/threesomes. This will be easier if the females are also neutered as it reduces their territorial instinct :)

Back