• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Is this constipation?

floptastic

Warren Scout
First thing this morning my 8 year old boy rabbit Maximus was fumbling about the place in a blind panic. So I gave metacam and 1ml of infacol and that seemed to settle him. I gave an additional 0.5ml infacol at hourly intervals twice. He's been eating well but no poops so far today. He did poop last night and they look ok. If I feel his stomach it feels a bit bloated - that's the only way I can describe it. I thought all was well so I didn't see the vet. At 3.00pm this afternoon he started panicking again - so I gave him another 1ml infacol and once again he's settled down and is eating. Something is wrong he looks in pain when this happens and runs away. The local vets are closed so I got through to the emergency vet (who happens to be the local vet :shock:) She says not to feed him any more for a few hours and to give liquid paraffin - ugh :?! Any ideas? He eats albeit slowly so he still has his appetite. At the moment he's parked in his litter tray looking pensive. He has been hiding but he has also been moving about.
Also how often can I give the metacam - I gave 0.3ml this morning (he weighs 3.3kg) the vet says it should last 24 hours. And what do people think to the liquid paraffin or vegetable oil she mentioned as an alternative?

Sorry probably can not really offer much advise as this sounds a little confusing.
I know when Jims has been going in to/ coming out of statis he was sat in his potty for a while really looking like he was straining and often there were no poops when he left and he would keep running back in and out, in and out etc.
If his tummy feels bloated then how about some tummy rubs, this can often help move things along.
I am not sure about the vet telling you to with hold food as buns are always meant to be constantly eating, if it were me I would probably still give him hay to eat but please do not just take my advise see what others say.

Can you try a different emergency vet? Something here doesn't seem to be adding up.

Stasis issues are secondary to something else, and in your case that might be whatever is causing him to panic. I'm wondering if maybe he has lost/is losing his sight or his hearing, or maybe if something is happening in his body that is causing that.

Whatever it is though he needs to be seen, ideally, becausxe it sounds pretty complex. Is there someone else you could try?

Make sure you offer an option to keep him warm, so something like a snugglesafe because he may be getting chilly.

I'm not sure about with holding food to be honest, that sounds a bad idea. I'm not saying go against your vet, but if that were my vet and my buns I would be seeking a second opinion pretty sharpish.

I agree with getting a second opinion asap. The metacam dosage seems really low, for my buns my vet gave me this dosage 0.4mls/kg twice a day and thats dog metacam. I would get him to the vet now if you can. I hope he'll be ok.

I agree second emergency opinion tonight! I hope he will be ok :)

I would not use paraffin or veg oil at this stage - my vets only recommend it when all other gut motility agents have been tried unsuccessfully for several days, sort of a last resort.

I hope you can find another vet tonight to help - just ring around :wave:

Has he wee'd ?

Sounds like cystitis to me and the pain from that has slowed his guts down too.

I certainly would not administer LP, but you could syringe him some cooled boiled water. Up to 30ml/hr

Best to get him to a Vet tonight though

Good luck

Thank you all for the replies!
Sorry I'm in a bit of a panic. At 6.00pm I gave another 1ml infacol. I gave some tummy rubs, got a warm water bottle and I've just fed some watery parsley and he ate all of it - slowly. I'm currently holding him as I type since he just keeps thumping when I put him on the ground. We're in trouble, we live in the middle of Northumberland - which direction do I for a second opinion? I'll try googling in a bit. Anyway Jane you're suggestion of cystitis - there's a little pee but not much. I have some baytril - is it worth a shot (all caveats accepted)? He's in my arms at the moment - he's extremely docile - he's normally fiesty.

I would call your Vet's out-of-hours cover re the Baytril
I cant tell you to administer a POM :cry:

I would want him examined by a Vet tonight if he hasn't poo'd all day.
He may need additional meds to get his guts going and the Vet could also have a feel of his bladder to see if he is tender there.

Good luck

Okay there have been some poos - a little smaller than usual.
He was able to eat a whole plateful of food just now and now he's grooming himself :?.
Thinking back (2002) he had cystitis and his behaviour was different then - more of a wretching when trying to pee.
I'm not sure where we're at right now - he's happily grooming himself :roll:
And now he's eating what I assume are his caecotrophs/poo from his bottom :?
Hmmm....

Back