• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eye problem

the bunny girl

Warren Scout
Hi has anyone had a rabbit who's eyelashes grow in towards the eye ? I have read on the net that surgery is not successfull .
Any info welcome x

One of my buns had surgery to fix entropian...and has been fine ever since :D

I know quite a few other buns who've had it done successfully too

Firstly they are put under General Anaesthetic for the operation, then the vet cuts a tiny sliver of skin from the eyelid, and stitches the wound together, so that the eyelid doesn't roll inwards any more.

Entropian is a very painful condition, so it's definitely in your buns best interest to have the surgery done.

Thanks . Dont worry he is going back to the vets again ! I actually noticed this and said to my vet the last time i was there but she thought it was an infection and he was given eye drops . I will show her what i have found and the white gunk in his eyes have cleared up so she will be able to see the problem clearly now

It depends on the problem causing the abnormal growth of the eyelashes. The most common in bunnies are entropion and distichiasis.
Entropion is where a deformity in the eyelid (either congenital or following an injury/damage to a previously normal eyelid) leads to the eyelid edge folding in and the lashes rubbing on the eye. This is generally fixed in adults by removing a wedge section of the eyelid to straighten up and tauten the eyelid edge. Another alternative is to remove a crescent of skin next to the eyelid to increase tension and change the angle of the eyelid edge. In young rabbits the eyelid can be held in a normal position with sutures in the skin to correct the anatomy while the rabbit grows. This can avoid the need for invasive surgery but many cases still require resection later as complete resolution is uncommon.
Distichiasis is when eyelashes/hairs are growing from an abnormal position, usually from the inner surface of the eyelid. Surgery to remove the follicle can cause scarring and permanent (though usually mild) roughening of the surface but the highly irritant hair is removed. Plucking is only temporary but electroepilation can give permanent hair removal with minimal scarring, although this is rarely available in veterinary practice.

It been hard the last few days because the eye wounds are getting itchy . I cant keep the collar on because he goes mad so i have been on the couch sleeping so i can watch him

Willow had this all her adult life.Her eyes were always manky looking but didn't bother her.Entropian is a big problem with french lops,but luckily this is one problem my unhealthy frenchie doesn't have!!

helo, glad to hear your bun is recovering well. My bun had this operation 4 days ago. can you tell me what care you gave after? i'm having problems getting drops in:(
kind regards andrea

Back