• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying questions

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
So Posy is old enough now for her spay, she is 5 months. I am hoping to get her booked in for a few weeks time.

I had Peter neutered so I have dealt with a single male bun having the op but never a bonded female.

I know its a bigger op for a doe so what should I be prepared for? Should I ask the vet if they can stay together or will I need to keep Peter at home? I will be bringing her inside for a few days afterwards. Can Peter come in too or will I have to wait till she is recovered and then re-bond them? They are always very gentle with each other and since the first hour of their bonding date there has been no humping.

Also, how much on average do vets usually charge for a spay? I can't remember what Peter was, £60 I think.:?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm panicing already!

So Posy is old enough now for her spay, she is 5 months. I am hoping to get her booked in for a few weeks time.

I had Peter neutered so I have dealt with a single male bun having the op but never a bonded female.

I know its a bigger op for a doe so what should I be prepared for? Should I ask the vet if they can stay together or will I need to keep Peter at home? I will be bringing her inside for a few days afterwards. Can Peter come in too or will I have to wait till she is recovered and then re-bond them? They are always very gentle with each other and since the first hour of their bonding date there has been no humping.

Also, how much on average do vets usually charge for a spay? I can't remember what Peter was, £60 I think.:?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm panicing already!

Sorry, I can only answer your last question, but one local vet charges £80 - £100 for spays.

My Vet likes bonded Rabbits to remain together so she admits both and the only time they are seperated is during surgery and whilst the Doe is waking up from the GA

I have never seperated a bonded pair AFTER surgery

I pay about £55 for a spay but I think the average is £70-£80

I'd ask the Vet about post op' pain relief ;)

MY pairs always go together for anything including their spays/castrations and it costs me £65 for a spay :D

Definitely keep them together. Dillon went in with Jess and Jemime when they were done and stayed with them while they recovered. They bounced back quite quickly, but the other buns I've had done were really affected by it and were very quiet for several days. I didn't really realise how much until they were back to normal. Rosie drank bowlfuls of water until she felt better :)

my 2 girls had theirs on weds and they have tayed together all the way through apart from the p. they were £55 each.:wave:

Back