• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mammy not great, with wk old babies

glezo

New Kit
please help,

my rabbit had 5 babies over a wk ago, 1 died few days later, and anothe one died last nite.
she didnt feed the one that died last nite as his tummy was complety empty, and i find that another 1 is not that full this morning

mammy has soft poo, and not eating for a few days now..

Can you please give us as much infon on the doe. Was this an accidental litter? What is she fed on? What is their nest like? Does she get stressed when you handle the babies?

Can you please give us as much infon on the doe. Was this an accidental litter? What is she fed on? What is their nest like? Does she get stressed when you handle the babies?

sorry for delay, my little child fell and busted her lip

yes it was accdental litter only brought her few wks previous and showed not sign, shes fed on hay, rabbit feed, and on occional mix of veg..

babies born out side in a pin brought them into the shed, and put them into a hutch with the hay and fur that was used for nesting.

the doe is brillent when i go to check on babies, and doesnt mind me doin it

please help im in dire way here

sorry for delay, my little child fell and busted her lip

yes it was accdental litter only brought her few wks previous and showed not sign, shes fed on hay, rabbit feed, and on occional mix of veg..

babies born out side in a pin brought them into the shed, and put them into a hutch with the hay and fur that was used for nesting.

the doe is brillent when i go to check on babies, and doesnt mind me doin it

please help im in dire way here

If the Doe isnt eating she MUST be seen by a Vet. She may not have any milk by now so the Kits will starve to death

Please do all you can to find a Vet who will see and treat your Doe today. There are numerous reasons as to why she has soft poo and is not eating.
Pregnancy Toxaemia being just one
From the information you have provided here this is a life threatening situation for the Doe and all her remaining Kits.

I so hope that you can get her to a Vet within the next few hours

thanks all for yer advice,

i have rang the vet, and she said it sounded serious bring her and babies to her for half 5.

praying all i ok :cry:

thanks all for yer advice,

i have rang the vet, and she said it sounded serious bring her and babies to her for half 5.

praying all i ok :cry:

Well done for arranging Veterinary care. Please keep us updated as to how they are all doing. I am sure you must be very worried.

hi all,

well a update...

brought jenni and her babies to vet, vet said it was to do with her diet that she was eating to much of the dry food.
and seen as i only brought her 4 wks ago and she was pregnant at that stage looks like it was to do with her previous owner, as i feed her on hay and veg mainly:(

i have to hand feed hand the babies, and if jenni is still not eating to mix up food and hay by a blender, looks like i have to start that 2day as she is not eating still.

came back from work a hour ago to feed babies and another baby died, down to 2 now from 5 and looks like another one wont last another hour :cry:

For a rabbit not to eat, even for a few hours, is really serious. Try tempting her with chopped up apple/dandelion. Did the vet give you some food to syringe feed her with?

Your best bet for the babies is to see if there is a reputable breeder in your area who could foster your kits to one of their mum's. Try http://www.thebrc.org/

Handrearing has a very high failure rate.

For mum, did you make very sudden changes to her diet? Do you actually know why she isn't eating? It sounds like the root cause has not yet been found.

Your best bet for the babies is to see if there is a reputable breeder in your area who could foster your kits to one of their mum's. Try http://www.thebrc.org/

Handrearing has a very high failure rate.

For mum, did you make very sudden changes to her diet? Do you actually know why she isn't eating? It sounds like the root cause has not yet been found.

no didnt make sudden change gradually added the veg to her diet, i dont know why she isnt eating i just taught from having the babies

i have another female of 5 mths, cud i put baby in with her

no didnt make sudden change gradually added the veg to her diet, i dont know why she isnt eating i just taught from having the babies

i have another female of 5 mths, cud i put baby in with her

Is this Doe lactating ? If not she wont be able to feed the Kits

Has the sick Doe received any treatment ? Pain relief ? Gut motility meds ?

Is this Doe lactating ? If not she wont be able to feed the Kits

Has the sick Doe received any treatment ? Pain relief ? Gut motility meds ?

the vet said their is very little milk their, so thats why i have to feed the kits for now..

yes the doe was put on a drip yesterday it brougt her back again for a while, but got nothing else.

i have sense syringe her with dandalion leaves, cream, carrot and leek and once again came to to herself so i will try again several times 2day..

ye all have been so great with info thanks so much

Is the OTHER doe lactating? If she is, how old are her kits?

Also, how is the mum acting generally? There is a root cause for this and its SO important to find out what it is if you hope to get her through this.

well that it,
all babies have died :cry:

main focus now is mammy !!

let her out onto the lawn yesterday for a break and kept eating the grass :D
so when i put her back into her pin i pulled more grass for her and she loved it
so looks like shes comin back to herself by starting to eat..

thanks again for all your kind help and info:love:

well that it,
all babies have died :cry:

main focus now is mammy !!

let her out onto the lawn yesterday for a break and kept eating the grass :D
so when i put her back into her pin i pulled more grass for her and she loved it
so looks like shes comin back to herself by starting to eat..

thanks again for all your kind help and info:love:

im so sorry for your loss prehaps you could put a tribute to the babies in the rainbow bridge section.

i would try adn book her in to be spayed soon this will stop future litters and mean she will not have hormones flying around and possibly have future phantom pregnancys, also it will stop her getting uterine cancer which kills around 85% of unspayed does each year. maybe if you got both your rabbits spayed you could bond them on neutral territory? bunnys love company and if bonded correectly can have 12 or more happy years together! :) x

So sorry to hear about the babies. My lifesaver is cook porrige oats with water in a pan with a few bits of skinned apples and a few bits of banana. When it's mushy, blend it up. It's basically baby food but when it's cooled to room temp I've found it's one thing they will eat from a syringe. I've saved a chinchilla and my bunny with this. Good luck.

Back