• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any ideas why rabbit may stop eating??

Sonja05

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I’d love your thoughts on what happened to my angora bunny Belle.

Two evenings ago she stopped eating and was looking very sorry for herself. I gave her one dose of loxicom and emeprid along with a few tummy massages. The next morning she was better eating dried apple leaves but not particularly keen on pellets. She’d had a dental 6 weeks ago so I was pretty sure she had another spur forming. I made an appointment for the vets that evening.

Roll on a few hours later she’s more than full of life, eating everything in sight and binkying away without a care in the world. She’s been like it ever since. We didn’t go to the vets.

Can rabbits have a bout of just feeling under the weather? She had torn and dug at a carpet 4 days before, I wonder if that was linked.

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. Xxx

Impossible to say. It could have been abdominal pain caused by ingesting carpet fibre. It could have been a build up of gas due to slow gut motility.

It’s important NOT to give a prokinetic drug eg emeprid to a Rabbit who isn’t eating unless you are 100% certain that there’s no obstruction. This means a full abdominal examination, auscultation and blood glucose testing must be carried out. Giving a prokinetic drug to a Rabbit with a GI tract obstruction can prove to be fatal, the stomach can rupture.

I would get your Rabbit’s teeth checked again as it could be that another dental will be needed soon.

Do you feed her a diet based on 80%-90% hay? Hay is the most important part of a Rabbit’s diet to insure good gut motility and dental attrition.

Monitoring poo output is a good way to monitor gut motility. Small poo/less poo is a sign of reduced gut motility, even if the Rabbit is still eating. So a Vet check is always needed.

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn’t know that about emeprid. I’m horrified and won’t be using again before a vet visit. Belle is an avid hay eater. She has a small amount of pellets in the morning and herbs in the evening. She usually has 10 months between dentals. I’love get her checked at the vet this week.

I really appreciate your reply.

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn’t know that about emeprid. I’m horrified and won’t be using again before a vet visit. Belle is an avid hay eater. She has a small amount of pellets in the morning and herbs in the evening. She usually has 10 months between dentals. I’love get her checked at the vet this week.

I really appreciate your reply.

Your welcome :)

Back