• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unsure of how much/how little to feed?

Han

New Kit
Hi everyone
All my buns are young but I am worried about giving them too much or too little of their hard feed. Is there a way to work out h ow much to feed them? I read on one website to feed 1 fluid ounce per 1lb of weight of rabbit. Is that about right? They always have access to hay and they get given fresh veg. I read that if you are over feeding then the rabbit might stop eating their cecotropes? Is that right? Because this morning I found a cecotropes in my French Lops hutch, it's the first time I have ever found one, but Jacob is still his usual self, eating and drinking etc.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi everyone
I read that if you are over feeding then the rabbit might stop eating their cecotropes? Is that right?

Thats right. My buns have always been fed a mixture of hays and dried herbs freely (that should make up the bulk of th diet) only about 5 % of the diet is pellets, this tends to be about an egg cupful per bun a day. The rest of the diet is a selection of fresh veg and the occasional bit of fruit.

Hope that helps. x

Back