• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help poorly rabbit not eating

claire193

Young Bun
My little rabbit is unwell last week she started to go off her pellet food i thought she was just being funny as excel have changed there recipie, anyway saturday i went to feed her and she was lying all limp and cold and not intrested in anything so i took her to the vets and they said she had a stomach infection and they gave her some injections and gave me a sachet of science plan to make up which i did and the only way she would take it was to dip dandelion leaves into it. Anyway took her back yesterday and they gave her injections again and some more science plan stuff.
Now although she is much brighter and not cold shes still not eating the only thing she is eating is dandelion leaves.
Can anybody give me any advice as im so worried about her.
hugs xx

How 'bunny savvy' is your vet? If she's only eating soft food, she could have a problem with her teeth. Did your vet check her teeth?

I have wondered about her teeth but the vet checked them and said they were fine, though yesterday and today when i have opened her hutch door she has been knawing the wood where the door closes! Could this indicate a tooth/mouth problem do you think? and they missed it?

Hmmm - not sure. I don't have much experience of tooth problems as all mine have (touch wood) had good teeth so far. Has she had any pain relief? And what sort of 'infection' did the vet say she had? Is she on antibiotics? Is she pooping? It sounds more like a stasis to me but then I'm no expert. Is she looking uncomfortable - either hunched in a corner or stretched right out? Does she grind her teeth? These are both signs of pain.

The only experience I have is of stasis ie. pain, not eating anything, not pooping etc and an internal abscess which had very similar symptoms to stasis although food intake was minimal. However, once on daily antibiotics, Flora made an almost immediate recovery from the abscess.

Someone else with a lot more experience than me will no doubt see this and come up with some suggestions.

I would request a second opinion as it does sound as though teeth may well be the problem
Or another possibility is an impacted caecum. The symptoms of which are insidious in onset and can mimmick Dental problems.

Is your Rabbit drinking ?

I remember when my rabbit had his first back teeth op he didn’t eat for 5 days afterwards and when he started eating the only thing he ate was dandelions. For two or three days I searched desperately for dandelions (it was winter
c055.gif
), I was just so relieved that at least he was eating something, he ate them in vast quantities and nothing else but eventually went back to his normal stuff. Good job too as I was resorting to entering peoples’ gardens to steal them in the dead of night.
k015.gif

Back