• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly's Hocks - An Allergic Reaction? U/D

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Took Molly to vet tonight to see about her hocks. He's thinking it may be an allergic reaction to something and has given her an anti-inflammatory injection to see if this is the case. The strange thing about her hocks are that they can be white and seem to be full of infection and puss, and the next day, the hock is clear of white and is just red and inflamed. How is this possible? Infection can not come and go daily, surely? Yesterday, she had tons of white in her feet, and tonight at the vets, it was just red. If this theory doesn't work then unfortunately, unless we find a suitable antibiotic that works against her infection, then we may have to think about PTS as it's not fair to keep her like this. It's not a life. We have tried everything, and we are keeping her in the best possible conditions we can.

If only we could manage it successfully, even if it cost us tons of money, if she could be free from pain, we would do it. We have an idea that she may be allergic to grass as she comes in everyday with loads of reaction in her hocks, and then overnight, is much better again (after being on hay overnight). Any ideas and has anyone ever heard of this before, because I haven't? Jacks-Jane????

Are the 'white spots' like this ?

010-24-1.jpg

When it comes to chronic sore hocks you are never going to obtain a 'cure' and full fur regrowth.
But the condition can often be managed, it is hard work and requires total commitment from the care giver.
I will post a few pictures of some of my other Rexes hocks later.

PTS should only be the very last resort...............

When it comes to chronic sore hocks you are never going to obtain a 'cure' and full fur regrowth.
But the condition can often be managed, it is hard work and requires total commitment from the care giver.
I will post a few pictures of some of my other Rexes hocks later.

PTS should only be the very last resort...............

Poor Molly:? Jane - have you room for another at the Inn

Poor Molly:? Jane - have you room for another at the Inn

If the poor Rabbit is to be PTS then 'Yes'
I would then get my Vet to examin her and PTS would only be considered if pain control and 'hock management' could not be acheived within a reasonable time scale.

Given the OPs attitude towards this situation expressed on other threads I have genuine concerns.
If this post earns me an infraction so-be-it

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

I'm only asking about an allergic reaction. PTS will be the final option, of course. I wouldn't PTS if we could try other things, but I don't think it's fair to keep her going, if we can't manage it, just for our pleasure. That's cruel. Now, please back to the original topic, is it likely to be an allergic reaction?

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

I'm only asking about an allergic reaction. PTS will be the final option, of course. I wouldn't PTS if we could try other things, but I don't think it's fair to keep her going, if we can't manage it, just for our pleasure. That's cruel. Now, please back to the original topic, is it likely to be an allergic reaction?

IMO (unqualified) NO

I'm banging my head against a brick wall because it is stopping me from putting what I'm really thinking.

The way you have spoken it already sounds like you are at the last resort, I'll say no more. I'm annoyed enough by you.

But how can infection come and go daily? One day, it's full of white, the next day, it's gone.

Impossible to say without seeing these supposed 'white spots'

If you are expecting Molly to be a Rabbit you can just feed, water and move from hutch to run daily you are going to be disappointed. But that is no reason to just give up.
If you cant put in the several times DAILY time and effort to managing the condition then I would seriously consider finding her a home with someone who can

Last edited:
Jut a thought but maybe it would help the vet if he/she could see the white spots - next time they appear, could you get an appointment for the same day? (Rather than waiting till the following day, by which time the spots have disappeared)

Impossible to say without seeing these supposed 'white spots'

If you are expecting Molly to be a Rabbit you can just feed, water and move from hutch to run daily you are going to be disappointed. But that is no reason to just give up.
If you cant put in the several times DAILY time and effort to managing the condition then I would seriously consider finding her a home with someone who can

Can you tell me then what I would have to do to manage it successfully, as I don't know?

Jut a thought but maybe it would help the vet if he/she could see the white spots - next time they appear, could you get an appointment for the same day? (Rather than waiting till the following day, by which time the spots have disappeared)

Yes, we are definitely going to do that.

Can you tell me then what I would have to do to manage it successfully, as I don't know?

LL I need to step away from this for a few hours so as I dont post what I am really thinking and end up with a Ban !!

I will hopefully be less angry with you later and thus able to post some more advice.
But I do ask myself if there is any point as time and time again you ask for advice but then you just ignore it...............:roll:

:censored:

LL I need to step away from this for a few hours so as I dont post what I am really thinking and end up with a Ban !!

I will hopefully be less angry with you later and thus able to post some more advice.
But I do ask myself if there is any point as time and time again you ask for advice but then you just ignore it..........
:

But you seem to know that I need to put a lot of commitment and time in, and I'm not seeing how this works. I just give her painkillers and antibiotics, right? That doesn't take that much commitment.

What are you already doing to try to manage Molly's hocks?

Moving the run daily to a new patch of grass so it's as soft as we can get it (cos once they have eaten the grass down, the ground's too hard), thick hay in their hutch, cleaning the litter tray and bedroom (where she wees) daily, and was applying salt water to the area (don't know if I should continue really).

Back