• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly's Hocks - An Allergic Reaction? U/D

It could have been an injectable NSAID? :?

Well they wont last 10 days :?
Metacam would be cleared in 24 hours
Carprofen about the same I think.

If the Vet says its an allergy then I suspect he gave a steroid which would last 7-10 days. Hence Vet said come back in 10 days. If Molly has had a steroid and is not on abx she is now at much greater risk of infection in her hocks.

Just my unqualified opinion

Well they wont last 10 days :?
Metacam would be cleared in 24 hours
Carprofen about the same I think.

If the Vet says its an allergy then I suspect he gave a steroid which would last 7-10 days. Hence Vet said come back in 10 days. If Molly has had a steroid and is not on abx she is now at much greater risk of infection in her hocks.

Just my unqualified opinion

well, what can I do now? Make sure everything is very clean? If she's going back soon, then if there is infection, it can be sorted when we go? Maybe he's trying to see if it causes a reaction or not?

well, what can I do now? Make sure everything is very clean? If she's going back soon, then if there is infection, it can be sorted when we go? Maybe he's trying to see if it causes a reaction or not?

Personally I'd call the Vet and ask the name of the 'anti-inflammatory' that was given.

If it was infact a steroid I'd then ask about antibiotic cover. Rabbits are VERY steroid sensitive and steroids can have a negative impact on the immune system. Waiting 10 Days would not be an option if there is any chance what-so-ever that there is infection in the hocks.

If it was a NSAID that was given that wont last 10 days so Molly will require more before then.

Personally I'd call the Vet and ask the name of the 'anti-inflammatory' that was given.

If it was infact a steroid I'd then ask about antibiotic cover. Rabbits are VERY steroid sensitive and steroids can have a negative impact on the immune system. Waiting 10 Days would not be an option if there is any chance what-so-ever that there is infection in the hocks.

If it was a NSAID that was given that wont last 10 days so Molly will require more before then.

well, he did say anti-inflammatory, nothing about steriods at all, so i guess it was just anti-inflammatory.

well, he did say anti-inflammatory, nothing about steriods at all, so i guess it was just anti-inflammatory.

Nope, not necessarily. STEROIDS have significant anti-inflammatory properties and in other species are often used for just that. But as I have said there use in Rabbits is not generally considered to be appropriate except in exceptional circumstances.

Can we please keep things a little less heated. I'm sure the OP is doing her best but there is a confusing variety of treatments and what works for one bunny doesn't necessarily work for another. Quite often it resorts to trying one thing and then another to see what works best.

Tamsin

Thank you. First, we are going to try the hay run, if still continuing badly, then try salvon gel/manuka honey etc, and bandaging. If there is still infection when we go back to the vet and it's present, then we'll do a c+s test. I'm sure, this is all I can do at the present time. :?

I'm sure you've probably tried it but I would be inclined to keep her run on rubber matting with a deep bed of hay on top. I believe it is important to keep the nails short as if they are long the bun stands differently and puts more pressure on the hock.

I would be inclined to give the vet a quick call just to confirm exactly what was administered as from more experienced posters it would seem either way she may need a vet appointment sooner than 10 days. I make a habit of asking my vet the name of anything they give my buns.

I'm sure I read from another thread that vet bed doesn't always help sore hocks as sometimes it can be a bit abrasive so I would probably stick with the megazorb in the litter trays.

Jane has clearly had sucess with bandaging and topical treatments so this would be something I'd try. I think I read you had a problem with sudocreme but I'm sure Jane can give you some other suggestions. I would be keen to know if anyone has tried Bepanthan. I'm not sure if it is ok for buns, it is another type of nappy rash creme but my OH was advised to use it for healing new tatoos as it apparently stops cracking and acts more like a barrier cream than sudocreme does.

I know its frustrating when pets are ill and all this info from people can be confusing but people really are only trying to help.

Goodluck. Sending get well hock vibes for your bun.

I'm sure you've probably tried it but I would be inclined to keep her run on rubber matting with a deep bed of hay on top. I believe it is important to keep the nails short as if they are long the bun stands differently and puts more pressure on the hock.

I would be inclined to give the vet a quick call just to confirm exactly what was administered as from more experienced posters it would seem either way she may need a vet appointment sooner than 10 days. I make a habit of asking my vet the name of anything they give my buns.

I'm sure I read from another thread that vet bed doesn't always help sore hocks as sometimes it can be a bit abrasive so I would probably stick with the megazorb in the litter trays.

Jane has clearly had sucess with bandaging and topical treatments so this would be something I'd try. I think I read you had a problem with sudocreme but I'm sure Jane can give you some other suggestions. I would be keen to know if anyone has tried Bepanthan. I'm not sure if it is ok for buns, it is another type of nappy rash creme but my OH was advised to use it for healing new tatoos as it apparently stops cracking and acts more like a barrier cream than sudocreme does.

I know its frustrating when pets are ill and all this info from people can be confusing but people really are only trying to help.

Goodluck. Sending get well hock vibes for your bun.

Thank you. Will be putting the girls in the run on rubber matting and a really thick layer of hay. The injection given was Dexafort. Don't know what this is but hopefully someone will know. She has an appointment for the vet for Monday, and we are keeping a very close eye on her hocks monring and evening, so if they get worse, then she'll go to the vet sooner, but her hocks are looking really good this morning. Her old abscess has actually got new fur growth, which I think is fantastic. :D Will try bandaging and creams once we feel she needs it, and when the vet thinks it's necessary. And we will do a c+s test once the vet can get a sample.

Thank you. Will be putting the girls in the run on rubber matting and a really thick layer of hay. The injection given was Dexafort. Don't know what this is but hopefully someone will know. She has an appointment for the vet for Monday, and we are keeping a very close eye on her hocks monring and evening, so if they get worse, then she'll go to the vet sooner, but her hocks are looking really good this morning. Her old abscess has actually got new fur growth, which I think is fantastic. :D Will try bandaging and creams once we feel she needs it, and when the vet thinks it's necessary. And we will do a c+s test once the vet can get a sample.

Dexafort (Dexamethasone) is a Steroid

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Dexafort/-28818.html

Well, the injection seems to have worked. The hocks are now a healthy-pink colour, and it's no longer inflamed. I think bedding her on hay helps a lot too, so as soon as we make the hay run, they'll be in it. :lol: I think the grass is causing more trouble than it's worth. The ground is starting to get really hard again. :(

Just a thought but alongside the other advice have you considered a thick soft layer of peat under the hay that she can sink her toes into and reduce the pressure on her hocks? this could even be under a fleece barrier if you wished

Just a thought but alongside the other advice have you considered a thick soft layer of peat under the hay that she can sink her toes into and reduce the pressure on her hocks? this could even be under a fleece barrier if you wished

that's a good idea. thanks. where can you buy peat? :)

Garden centres, diy stores although it is getting harder to find for environmental reasons.
I don't normally buy peat because of damage to peat bogs but in Molly's case I would make an exception.
I would be reluctant to use other kinds of compost in case the fertilisers in it could be harmful xx

Garden centres, diy stores although it is getting harder to find for environmental reasons.
I don't normally buy peat because of damage to peat bogs but in Molly's case I would make an exception.
I would be reluctant to use other kinds of compost in case the fertilisers in it could be harmful xx

thank you. will look around for some.

They are now in the hay run, and they love it. The hay is about 1ft thick, but of course, they are going to flatten it, so I'll just keep adding more hay to make it thicker. It's great, because there is no pressure on her feet, and she isn't even touching the ground when she's standing on it, it's that thick. :D

Back