• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly eye???

ktdt

New Kit
I noticed today that my bunny has got some fur missing around his left eye, when i first saw it it also looked like it was weeping a little. His eye lids dont look swollen but do look a little red.
I washed his eye with warm water on cotton wool and it doesnt appear to have weeped anymore since. He is eating fine, pooing fine, ans sees normal in himself. His eye does seem to be a little more closed then his other one.
And i have caught him nibbling at his body a bit.
Any ideas anyone?

At first i thought he may have an infection, but it doesnt seem to have weeped anymore
Then i thought maybe it was his teeth but the vet said they were fine about 2 months ago when he had his check up and he is eating fine
but not i am thinking maybe fleas/mites or something cos of the nibbling at his body too?

I have rang the vet and he is in on monday am unless he is worse in the morning, any ideas please i hate seeing my little boy poorly :(

I noticed today that my bunny has got some fur missing around his left eye, when i first saw it it also looked like it was weeping a little. His eye lids dont look swollen but do look a little red.
I washed his eye with warm water on cotton wool and it doesnt appear to have weeped anymore since. He is eating fine, pooing fine, ans sees normal in himself. His eye does seem to be a little more closed then his other one.
And i have caught him nibbling at his body a bit.
Any ideas anyone?

At first i thought he may have an infection, but it doesnt seem to have weeped anymore
Then i thought maybe it was his teeth but the vet said they were fine about 2 months ago when he had his check up and he is eating fine
but not i am thinking maybe fleas/mites or something cos of the nibbling at his body too?

I have rang the vet and he is in on monday am unless he is worse in the morning, any ideas please i hate seeing my little boy poorly :(

Has he had his Myxi vaccination in the last 6-12 months?
It could be an eye infection, or It could be that he has a blocked tear duct either in isolation, or as a symptom of an abnormally elongated tooth root. Bunny teeth can grow in a matter of days/weeks, 2 months is quite a long time. Does he have an abundance of hay in his diet?
When the vet checked his teeth did he have any concerns at all? Molar spurs?
Fur chewing can be due to stress/pain or it could be fur mites - does he have any dandruff or fur loss? Mite infestations can occur when bunny is run down from something else.
I would keep his eye bathed and clean using warm water, try not to get too much of his fur wet as this alone can cause fur loss.
If he stops eating/pooing over night then he will need to see an emergency vet tonight. Hopefully it is just a simple eye infection that some antibiotic drops will clear up. Good luck :)

yes he has his mixi 2 months ago, and the vet said his teeth were great and no signs of trouble at all. he has lots of hay all the time and carrot and greens every other day. He doesnt seem to be losing any fur and his tear duct doesnt look swollen at all, just the rim of his eye looks red ish :(

yes he has his mixi 2 months ago, and the vet said his teeth were great and no signs of trouble at all. he has lots of hay all the time and carrot and greens every other day. He doesnt seem to be losing any fur and his tear duct doesnt look swollen at all, just the rim of his eye looks red ish :(

It could just be a simple eye infection then, conjunctivitis hopefully :)

thanks :) i really hope so, i keep checking on him tonight but think he is getting fed up of me looking at him lol.
Will see how he is tomorrow and then take him to vets on monday.

I did read on here somewhere about putting a bit of vasaline around his eye to stop it getting sore???, should i do this do you think? is it safe or is he likely to just rub it in his eye and risk making it worse?

thanks :) i really hope so, i keep checking on him tonight but think he is getting fed up of me looking at him lol.
Will see how he is tomorrow and then take him to vets on monday.

I did read on here somewhere about putting a bit of vasaline around his eye to stop it getting sore???, should i do this do you think? is it safe or is he likely to just rub it in his eye and risk making it worse?

I would have a vet look at his eye tomorrow to be honest. I would be uncomfortable leaving it another day, it could be painful and rabbits can develop GI stasis when in pain very quickly.
I would also be inclined not to apply anything until I have seen a vet first for a diagnosis. Someone else may advise you differently.

Back