• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT: Wound + fuciderm gel

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya :wave:

I feel like such a bad bunny mummy today. We were just about to leave the house and we noticed Beau was chewing away at his back, and kept jumping in the air and shaking his whole body. On closer inspection he's got a big wound on his back :? it's not deep, but it's quite big, he's obviously been chewing it and pulled al the hair out. It must be from his failed bonding with Ruby, but I inspected him yesterday and couldn't see anything, I mustn't have done a good enough job. :cry:

So we took him to the vet and she found two more puncture wounds too :? She put some fuciderm gel on and told us to put it on twice a day, but he just keeps licking it straight off, and keeps chewing at the wound. He also keeps jumping up and shaking his whole body. I don't know what to do because obv he wont absorb the cream if he keeps licking it straight off, and he's also clearly in distress. She's reluctant to put a collar on him cos this can effect their eating and result in gut imbalances and stasis :( We literally just got back from the vets. What do you think I should do?

I would call the Vets and ask their advice. Perhaps you could cover it with a light dressing? Maybe he needs some painkillers to help him forget about it and leave it alone.

Try getting some hibi scrub from the chemist....mix it with warm water so it turns a light pink colour and then use a cotton pad to bathe it.

Went back to the vets, she refused to give me a painkiller. She's given me a soft collar to put on him to stop him chewing the wound. How the :censored: am I supposed to get a collar on an already upset rabbit?!

Would I be able to use hibiscrub with the fuciderm? Or do i use it to bathe the wound before applying the fuciderm?

I think its for cleaning the wound before applying the cream.

Don't some people pop a modified baby vest on to stop them chewing at wounds?

May be if you leave it a while and let him settle down, then make sure its clean and pop the cream on maybe just before tea so he's distracted for a bit while it soaks in?

Your bun hasn't recently had a VHD vaccine? Just wondered as some may react to the jab :wave:

You could use a saline/salt water solution to bathe it.. then use the fuciderm. I know this is fine as our vet has advised this before.

With the collar I find they can't eat well and reach their cecals so I try to avoid them if I can. :wave:

I think its for cleaning the wound before applying the cream.

Don't some people pop a modified baby vest on to stop them chewing at wounds?

May be if you leave it a while and let him settle down, then make sure its clean and pop the cream on maybe just before tea so he's distracted for a bit while it soaks in?

Same issue tho, how do i get it on him :?

Same issue tho, how do i get it on him :?

Is he difficult to handle then? or do you mean how do you modify it?

If the former, get some help. If the latter, cut holes in appropriate places. Or maybe a large footless sock or stockingette type bandage.

Just me, but I think I would let him calm down, and later make sure its clean and try again. But I'm sure our vet would have given something just to calm it down.

Is he difficult to handle then? or do you mean how do you modify it?

If the former, get some help. If the latter, cut holes in appropriate places. Or maybe a large footless sock or stockingette type bandage.

Just me, but I think I would let him calm down, and later make sure its clean and try again. But I'm sure our vet would have given something just to calm it down.

He's perfectly happy around us, will climb on our backs and knees, loves a long stroke and a rub, but he hates being picked up or held. In the end we threw a towel over him and got the collar on, its driving him potty but at least he cant get to the wound. Re-applied the fuciderm. Will leave him to calm down now, hoping the fuciderm will be absorbed this time, should take the pain away according to the vet. Will try and get hold of some hibi scrub this afternoon.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Your bun hasn't recently had a VHD vaccine? Just wondered as some may react to the jab :wave:

You could use a saline/salt water solution to bathe it.. then use the fuciderm. I know this is fine as our vet has advised this before.

With the collar I find they can't eat well and reach their cecals so I try to avoid them if I can. :wave:

That's what the vet said, but he literally was chewing the wound constantly, so I feel we have no other opion. We've rolled up the bottom edge so its easier to eat his cecals, but if we see any stray cecals i'll take the collar off straight away :)

I had a bun who kept chewing his injury and had to wear a collar for 3 weeks ! It was a hard one and I cut out a space at the bottom so he could eat ok but couldn't turn round to chew his wound - its not the easist thing to watch bunny go through but was the only option for him.

Sounds like you are in the same position, he won't like it but its for his own good - he'll get used to it eventually.

I had a bun who kept chewing his injury and had to wear a collar for 3 weeks ! It was a hard one and I cut out a space at the bottom so he could eat ok but couldn't turn round to chew his wound - its not the easist thing to watch bunny go through but was the only option for him.

Sounds like you are in the same position, he won't like it but its for his own good - he'll get used to it eventually.

3 weeks? that's a whole lotta healing, what kind/size of wound was it? :shock:

Would I be able to use hibiscrub with the fuciderm? Or do i use it to bathe the wound before applying the fuciderm?

Yes...you bathe with the diluted hibiscrub and then apply the gel. Hibiscrub I have found it way more effective then general salt water - its the stuff the vets wash their hands in when handling an animal with wounds...an antiseptic. You just need to water it down to a light pink colour.
I used it most recently when my youngest dog got a hot spot - it cleared it really quickly :)

Yes...you bathe with the diluted hibiscrub and then apply the gel. Hibiscrub I have found it way more effective then general salt water - its the stuff the vets wash their hands in when handling an animal with wounds...an antiseptic. You just need to water it down to a light pink colour.
I used it most recently when my youngest dog got a hot spot - it cleared it really quickly :)

We've just wrestled the collar onto him and and put some fuciderm on, can I leave it til later to do the hibiscrub now or can it wait til this afternoon? He's just calmed down, I really don't want to disturb him again :?

We've just wrestled the collar onto him and and put some fuciderm on, can I leave it til later to do the hibiscrub now or can it wait til this afternoon? He's just calmed down, I really don't want to disturb him again :?

Course :)...dont worry about it now as he is calm...best time to do it is morning and night so just leave it til this evening before you apply the fuciderm xx

Can you keep him on your lap for 10 - 15 minutes? Just so you can stop him from licking it straight off again and give time for the gel to be absorbed.

Can you keep him on your lap for 10 - 15 minutes? Just so you can stop him from licking it straight off again and give time for the gel to be absorbed.

We can try, but he either walks on your knee or lies on the floor, almost impossible to get him to lie on your knee :roll: squirmy wormy!!

I don't like those collar. A few of my buns had use it.

When my bridge bun Goofball had her surgery, there was the stitched wound. Although it's internally stitched, I put a big patch of non-sterile pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in.

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur.

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a 2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

Fuciderm contains steroids, rabbits are a steroid sensitive species. absorption into the system of these steroids is a real possibility. I would not prescribe this drug for rabbits, there are alternatives that do not contain steroids. Steroids can cause significant immunosupression in rabbits
Goodluck

Back