• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

1 out of 3 overweight

Hopper

Mama Doe
I wasnt sure what section to put this in.

1 out of my 3 buns is getting really over weight (Dreama) How do i go about rectifying this so it doesnt effect the other 2? Obviously she is greedy and eats most the food, but cutting the food down will effect the other 2 and im not sure how to get weight off her :?

They are given pellets in the evening when put back in cage. They also dont eat them immidiatly.

Do they get any other treats, such as bits of carrot? Things like that are really fattening, so if it is something you feed, I would give the others a little piece while they are out and about. How much pellet do they get, I would suggest that if they aren't eating it all straight away, they may be getting too much.

You could also try putting the food into a couple of treat balls to encourage exercise, and if the other two are smaller, maybe put some of the food in an area that the overweight one can't get to, like inside a box.

You may need to change their normal routine a bit in order to make it work.

They have carrot dailey, I didn't realise it was fattening :shock::oops:

Dreama will be right in and eat away at pellets straight away, where as other 2 bit and bob more, this then leaves dreama to eat the others share more :roll:

I am worried cutting down any amount because of the other 2. I can feed the other 2 seperatly I suppose if I do change routine round and not feed them the pellets at night when being shut away. I can split the pen and feed that way in the day time. Would that help? I will get a couple of treat balls. Anyone have any reccomendations for any?

I am in a similar position with my four. I am trying to get a bit of weight off My Duncan.

I put him seperate from the other three at feeding time and keep them apart for about half an hour and then put them back together again. They don't mind, it's just part of their routine.

Make sure the overweight bun gets as much exercise as possible. It is harder in the Winter so in the Summer hopefully he will have more free range time. Duncan is a very lazy bunny!

They have carrot dailey, I didn't realise it was fattening :shock::oops:

Yep it's very high in sugar (carbohydrate) so a definite no-no for an overweight bun! You're just going to have to be mean and strict and not let her have any carrot until she's the right weight.

Could you hand feed the others pellets at various times to suit your routine, so they get more than she does. It is dangerous for a bun to lose weight too quickly though so I would cut out the carrot now, and then slowly start to cut down on the pellets for her. Maybe increase the frequency that you add fresh hay as I find they tend to start munching when you put a new batch in, even if they already have plenty! Good luck

Thanks, will cut the carrot out for sure. yes Ive noticed they eat away the minute you put fresh hay in, even if some is there so tend to to top up frequently on the hay.

Thanks for the advice :)

A&P natural rabbit pellets are good for overweight rabbits. They don't seem to taste as yummy as other pellets, so greedy rabbits aren't as keen to gobble them up.

A&P natural rabbit pellets are good for overweight rabbits. They don't seem to taste as yummy as other pellets, so greedy rabbits aren't as keen to gobble them up.

Thats what they are on already, Faye gets me them from farm. She still tends to eat loads though.

is the 3 buns having 90% hay as their diet? If their diet is 90% hay, they can't get fat. The remaining 10% is fruit, veggies, treats and pellet. So among that 10%, some part of it are pellet, as such, that tiny bit an't make a bun fat.

Maybe I am balancing the amount out wrong? They always have fresh hay. I do 2 small bowls, each 2/3 full with pellets for 3 buns and then a tiny amount of fresh veg a day? They have always been fed like this but its the last few weeks Dreama has gotton rather big and over weight.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. By cutting the carrots out etc.. Im seeing a slight improvement already in her :D

Back