• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed Please

mightymaus

New Kit
Hello :)

I'm new to the forum and I'd like some advice please. I have a five year old lionhead rabbit who has suddenly developed one lop ear. Usually both his ears stand upright but all of a sudden his right one has dropped and sags down. I have had a look in his ear and nothing appears to be wrong at first sight.

He has also recently lost a bit of weight, he's usually a rather plump bunny - this may be because I bought a food brand he didn't like and refused to eat, which I replaced with his usual food and now he's eating normally again.

He is behaving like he normally does, except when you pick him up he feels kind of limp and doesn't struggle like he normally would to be put back down. Apart from that he seems to be himself.

I'd like some advice as to what may be the problem, especially concerning the lop ear! Obviously if he doesn't put on any weight in the next day or so I'm going to take him straight to the vet. I'd just like some advice as to what it may be before I take him.

Any advice would be great :)
Thanks

I've never heard of it, but as he's getting on a bit could it be the muscles are relaxing slightly in his ear?
As he's getting older maybe he trusts you more to pick him up and doesn't bother struggling as he can't be bothered to make the effort (Ghostie is like this - she becomes a rag doll :love:)
It could also be he has no energy from the food changeover?
When did the lop ear occur, before or after?

It sounds as though he may have either an ear infection (sometimes it is not possible to see without an otoscope and/or skull Xrays) or possibly his symptoms are neurological in origin and point towards Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

I would take him to your Vet next week as it is always important to act quickly when a Bun shows symptoms of having a possible health problem. Good luck and please let us know how you get on :)

With vague symptoms like that it could be a number of things but I would want to treat for e. cuniculi with 28days fenbendazole. It could also be something like myasthenia but you would need a vet to diagnose that I don't know much about it :)

Thanks for you suggestions :)

I doubt his becoming limp because he's more used to us.. He's been overly friendly for YEARS but he always got scared whenever he was picked up, he's fine if he's on your lap but he always struggles a little whenever held whilst standing :) It feels more like he's not 100% well, tbh.

I know for a fact I need to take him in to get his back teeth checked, I looked him over today and his eyes are weepy (which I know is a sign of his teeth being overgrown as I've had to take him before for this reason) so I'm assuming this is why he has lost some weight.

But the lop ear really has me confused, it doesn't seem to be bothering him, he's not scratching it or anything... I doubt it is ecuniculi as surely we would have seem signs way before now..? I really hope it isn't an ear infection, but I'll take him on my day off next week and make sure he's ok :)

Last edited:
Thanks for you suggestions :)

I doubt his becoming limp because he's more used to us.. He's been overly friendly for YEARS but he always got scared whenever he was picked up, he's fine if he's on your lap but he always struggles a little whenever held whilst standing :) It feels more like he's not 100% well, tbh.

I know for a fact I need to take him in to get his back teeth checked, I looked him over today and his eyes are weepy (which I know is a sign of his teeth being overgrown as I've had to take him before for this reason) so I'm assuming this is why he has lost some weight.

But the lop ear really has me confused, it doesn't seem to be bothering him, he's not scratching it or anything... I doubt it is ecuniculi as surely we would have seem signs way before now..? I really hope it isn't an ear infection, but I'll take him on my day off next week and make sure he's ok :)

If he's got weepy eyes, it is probably a teeth problem, i hope you get it sorted soon! Hopefully the vet will shed some light on his ear!
Stralight's Rabbit Rescue had a severly neglected giant bunny who's ears were lop when handed in due to the severe conditions of her ears. Now they're all healed up they are up-right again.

Back