• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to do with extra long quicks?

vicki267

Mama Doe
Kira's claws are generally always too long as her quicks pretty much exxtend to the end of them. I usually get the vets to trim off a tiny bit each time as she also has black claws making it even harder for me.

However, her claws really do need trimming. Even if I take a little off they are still going to be too long :roll: Any more and I'll cut the quicks though. The claw on her thumb also grows inwards a bit (curls round) it doesn't cause her any pain from what we can tell and the vets say that due to breeding it is fairly common and just needs to be kept an eye on and trimmed regularly.

What is the easiest way to manage her claws? I dont suppose the vets could do anything better than what they are already doing?

Any tips for trimming myself? I can do usual claws but scared of overdoing it with her as I cant even take off a mm! I have my mum and corn flower at the ready :lol:

Did she come to you with long claws?

I find with buns who come here with very long claws that if I keep cutting the claws regularly, the quick gradually receeds.

Don't be too scared of drawing blood...it usually looks worse than it is. Just have some cornflower ready in case it happens.

That tool looks cool!

Her quicks have always been long and have always made it a pain to cut off anything more than a mm. Her thumb claw has always been curled over. Do you think I should make it a fortnightly event then?

What would you do if you really did cut too much off? :shock:

What would you do if you really did cut too much off? :shock:

Just cut a bit at a time...that way you can't cause any real damage.

Some of my older buns have curly claws (and toes which point in odd directions :shock: ). It doesn't really seem to affect the amount you need to clip off though

Back