• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump left from myxi jab

Charys

Mama Doe
A few months ago my baby bunny had his first jab. He ended up with a huge lump at the base of the ear where the final part of the vaccination was given. Although well in himself both at the time, and now, he still has a large hard lump at the site of the jab. Should I have another one done at 6 months ? If he carries on like now then his ears will be a massive lumpy mess a few years down the line !

i noticed my rabbit too has had this normally i have a very rabbit savvy vet who prefers the 10% to also go in the scruff and does it corrrectly(tho she admits it is harder to do she feels its better for the bunnys) i hadnt had it done par tin ear before but it seems my bunnys ear also has the lump maybe you could sugget teh 10 % being done in the skin in the neck instead? to save lumpyness. x

Thnaks bunlover, I didn't realise that the final 10% could be done in the scruff of the nexk i thought it had to be the ear. I will definitely ask for that to be done.

Thnaks bunlover, I didn't realise that the final 10% could be done in the scruff of the nexk i thought it had to be the ear. I will definitely ask for that to be done.

it must be done into the skin(10%)...which is difficult to do and so a lot of vet opt to do it in the ear as there is only skin so lunikely to get it wrong and therefore lessen the proitection of the vaccination. however if the vet is confident with doing it in neck usually they will either put it in the skin first...then push deeper after doing the 10% or pull out a bit for the 10% in the end. its just another way but its obviously harder to judge the needle is just in the skin and not deeper.

Not sure but I think sometimes a lump can occur after vaccination (my VET told me this with my dog when she was vaccinated), I think this is temporary though.

A lump at the vaccination site is usually good news as it suggests the vaccination produced a strong immune response. Therefore, your rabbit should have fairly good protection against myxi.

The 10% can be done in the scruff also ( my vet does this - personal preference)

Back