• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Newly neutered rabbit, depressed?

Becy

New Kit
My 13month old rabbit was neutered about 2 weeks ago. Things all went well and there was nothing wrong with his eating or moving about. But the past few days he hasn't been himself. He is an indoor rabbit so when i am home he is always hopping around the house and generally full of like. But the last 3 days he hasn't wanted to move and usually when i call his name he runs over to me, but now his ears stay down and he won't budge. Do rabbits get depression? He doesn't drink as much water but maybe that's because it has been so cold. Also his poo pellets are alot smaller and black. Any advice?
He loves apple slices in the morning but now he doesn't seem to want any.
He has no swelling, no ear or eye discharge.
If you can help at all or if you know what is going on it would be much appreciated.
I'm going to give it a few more days and see if he chirps up otherwise i am heading down to the vets.

Thanks.

if his poos are a bit black that could suggest too things, one his gut isn't moving well after the op and two he may just have a bit of a hair blockage which can be helped by pinapple juice or treatums, but because you said he's not moving much i'd suggest taking him to the vets. petal hasn't been in great form since she got done, she's got real quiet and doesn't stretch out anymore but some rabbits take longer to recover.

Get ya bunny to vets hun asap my last one went like that and i left it to see if he would be ok in 2 days time and sadly it was too late when i got him to vets he had stasis and sadly he died :(

Thanks so much for your responses. His wounds are fine, no sign of bleeding or infection. In the last few hours he has stopped eating so i am taking him to the vets tomorrow. I am going to try and feed him fresh hay and a small piece of fruit every hour or so, just to prevent his digestive system from grinding to a halt. As you both suggested i think it may be his gut :(

If your bunny has stopped eating, he needs to either see a vet tonight - or you need to get him eating yourself. Any delay can be fatal.

As you've already said he's been off colour for a few days i'd really suggest getting him the vets tonight as you don't want a bunny in stasis.

Sorry to be so abrupt, but bunnies tums are sensitive things and any problems are potentially serious.

It really is essential you consult a Vet tonight. Your Bun obviously has had symptoms of reduced gut motility and it appears he may now be in GI Stasis which left untreated can sadly be fatal.

Please contact your Vets now. Good luck

Back