• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help bunny bleeding after vhd jab

On friday i took the little monkey for his VHD jab he has been off his food a little the past day or so and had a touch of diarrhea which is normal for buster he gets it when he travels or eats anything slightly different or just if he is in a funny mood.

but today when i came in from work he still hadnt eaten much not his favorite broccoli or carrot or the treat from his advent calender. and i noticed blood on his paw and a bit on his nose. and clumpy poo on his bum which i have just washed off but looked a bit red.

he has just had a little bit of a grape because i figured if i got him trying his favorite foods he might come round.

this is his 3rd jab and its never happened before. its a new vet and im really worried.

please send back any advice.

jenna and buster x

Last edited:
You need to contact your Vet tonight.
The symptoms you describe are certainly not normal and are very worrying.

Your Vet should have out of hours Emergency cover and I strongly advise you to use it.

Please let us know how you get on.

me and buggs went the vet and they have said he might just have had a bit of a reaction to the jab but that they hadnt seen it before in a rabbit.

they gave him 3 jabs antibiotics and some thing to help his tummy.

still not eating but he has been drinking his bio lapis this mornig which is promising.

i got him home and he has kinda gone a little mental think the vet gave him speed!

It has been known for bunnies to have a reaction to the VHD jab. Normally though it doesn't sound as if it would be so severe. If your bun continues not to eat, I would get straight back to the vets. This is critical when the rabbit hasn't eaten or pooed for more than a few hours.

Can I be nosey and ask which vaccine was administered? Cylap or Labinject?

Hope bunny is better very soon.

Helen

I do not know what jab it was I am going to ask when he goes in for his nails trimmed.

He seems better he is still off his dry food but eating the fresh stuff and pooing again not as big and black as id like but at least he is pooing.

I am still a little worried as he seems so lazy lately he just lies under the bed in his room and is his destructive self.

I think he is just ****** at me for ignoring him while decorating I hope he snaps out of his little mood soon

VHD can leave the buns feeling a little under the weather for a couple of days so dont' worry too much if bun is a bit quiet. But, if he doesn't improve after that then I'd get him checked out.:D

Back