• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on spaying

tikka

New Kit
Hi, I am hoping that you can help a first time poster here. I have owned 'Tikka' (see piccy) for around a month now and I believe that she is about 5 months old. She lives in luxury in our lounge. As there are no other rabbits, breeding is not an issue. I have some concerns about having Tikka spayed due to the operation risks and stress to her and I do not want to put her through this if it is not entirely beneficial but I believe that there are increased cancer risks by not having this op done. Could you give me some advice.

Thanks Paul.

Yes, there's a high risk of getting utirary cancer (sp?) at around about 3 years old.
Ghostie my rabbit was spayed for this reason and for behaviour issues as well.
(Ghostie isn't a naughty bunny, just was a bt dominant with other one)
So having her spayed will stop her hormones from ruling her.
You could leave it for about a year and see what you want to do then, but then the cancer can hit at any time.
I was very worried whn Ghostie had hers and there was a slight complication, but it never bothered her and she's hopping like crazy!

An unspayed bun faces at 80-90% chance of getting uterine and other hormonal cancers. The removal of the uterus prevents all these.

As she hits adolescence she may get territorial, nipping, and generally a turd, spaying should also curb this hormonal behaviour.

There is risks with any anaesthetic on any living being, however, with a rabbit savvy vet, the risks are minimal. If you were to find she had uterine cancer at a later date and decided to spay when she became unwell the risks increase greatly.

Many does go through spaying, and come out just fine.

Is your vet rabbit savvy?

Thanks 'Spider' and 'Sky-O' for your help. I think you have confirmed my thoughts. I just get a little worried about the operation procedure. I have been to the vets once a few weeks ago for a mix jab and although she seemed knowledgable she didn't seem bothered about the spaying bit when I mentioned it and just let me go away to think about it. Maybe this vet isn't suitable?

It sounds like either she wants you to make up your own mind, or else she is not that keen on doing it.

Maybe if you can say your nearest town/city or something you might find somoene on here who uses a vet in that area who can suggest someone to try?

It sounds like either she wants you to make up your own mind, or else she is not that keen on doing it.

Maybe if you can say your nearest town/city or something you might find somoene on here who uses a vet in that area who can suggest someone to try?

was just going to say where are you based we can recommend someone rabbit savvy to you?there are some brillinat vets around you just have to be a bit choosey. speying as the others said is so important having lost a bunny once to uterine cancer i promise you it is worth it to get tehm done...my bun i lost was 6yrs old.... yet her sister who was speyed immediatly is now 10.5years... so it really can increase their life expectancy. ensure which ever vets you pick they DONOT tel you to fast the bunny before the op as this is life threatening...bunnys guts need to keep moving sadn they cant be sick like cats and dogs so its vital you feed up til the op time x

Back