• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused about my Bun.. is it gas?..

MartinR

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone,

Me again with more questions..:roll:

I don't know what is is, but our bun doesn't seem to fit any of the typical profile for a bun,ie what he won't etc, and how he responds to things.. anyway.

I was reading about gas in bunnies, and everything I've said it will cause pain, and they sit hunched etc, and go off their food..etc

soo.

When i stroke my bun I can feel like balls moving around inside his tummy, rising and sinking etc, but yet he's been like this for some time now I think about it, and he never shows any signs of discomfort, he's playing, binkying etc, rolling over and washing himself, and well acting completely normal, also he has a huge appetite, and goes nuts if his bowl is empty.

I've also noticed when I can feel these bubbles in his tum he seems happiest,and wants to play etc.. but when I can't feel them, is usually when he seems a bit more fed up.

but now I'm confused because, I suppose the balls must be air? in which case that would mean gas?.. yet he shows no signs of discomfort, pain etc. and is happy, speeding round and being normal, and at least in the way he acts he doesnt seem at all bothered by it?..

But I don't know whether to give him gas relief? or not..i'm soo confused.

Also what is the safe thing to give bunnies with gas in the UK?

Sorry about all the questions, but he just seems like a bit of an oddity

Thank You

Martin

I suspect you are feeling the hard 'currant-like' poos in his small intestine. Perfectly normal :)

Infacol can be administered to a Rabbit with 'gas' but there is no point in giving it if its not needed and from what you describe it isn't

:)

:wave: Hi Jack's Jane and Kay,

Hmm.. It could be the poops but I forgot to mention they balls seem to move around, it's strange, I was stroking him and I felt what I thought was a lump over his rib cage and went into panic mode and called my gf to come and have a feel but when she came over it was gone..then on further investigation it feels like little balls rising and sort of moving around, almost like his tum is bubbling away..

His tummy is not hard, and doesn't feel particularly bloated, but if I just lay my hand over his tum I can feel alot of movement in there and like balls of air pop up then vanish, it's hard to explain.. the vet never mentioned anything but he's going next week anyway for a check up so I will ask them.

He shows no signs of being unhappy about it or discomfort etc, and it's almost like it's normal to him, its strange..

We feed him mostly his dried foods, timothy hay, fresh grass, curly kale (in very small amounts, literally a bit of leaf or strip ) twice a day, carrot every few days, dandilion every few days and for his treats a locust bean.

He's so fussy he wont eat a lot of the foods rabbits are supposed to like, but he has a huge appetite for the foods he does like..

Hope that helps some..

If I was to guess the size of the ball thing, I would say it's probably about the size of a malteser..

M:?

Thanks:) I'm gonna pick up some Infacol then today too, because I want to build up a bunny medicine cabinet,

He's had a respitory infection for the last couple of weeks and has to have 0.4 ml of baytril a day and I ordered some avipro plus which seems to have helped him perk up, he start showing signs of having more energy after taking this and the last couple of nights seems more his old self.. but the bubbly tummy thing has always been there I think.

M

Locust beans can cause blockages in Rabbits so I'd stop using them. Carrot tops (the leafy bit) make a nice treat or an occasional grape :D

Yea, I take the actual little beans out, and just give him the husks, but only one little one at a time..

That would be awesome if he would eat carrot tops but he wont, he wont eat apple (even tried different types of apple), pear, banana, papaya, strawberry, yoghurt, celery, sprouts, raisins, etc, etc,... we have tried everything that is known to be safe for a rabbit.. its a nightmare..

so it makes it kinda difficult in knowing what to give him as a treat as locust bean is the only thing he likes and sees as a treat, everything he just turns his nose up.

hes an oddity... I guess..:?

but whenever were eating anything, or he's used his tray he jumps up begging for a treat and we feel so mean to not give him anything, just makes it awkward though when he so bloody fussy too..

Thanks for your reply..:)

M

Strangely, he doesn't seem to like timothy hay as much as the cheap stuff so I'm going to order one of those sample packs from the hay experts and let him explore them.

I just read up on the locust beans Kay, apparently theyre a laxative for humans too..:roll: I did actually have a nibble of one myself and they tast sweet.. but OMG!.. they smell baaad... they used to sell them in little bags in wilkos but apparently they stopped selling them because guinea pigs were choking on the little seeds.. blimey, sooo.. I emailed someone on ebay who is still selling them and let them know too.

anyway..

It's thundering here i thought he would be scared but he doesnt really seem bothered..(unlike my mum who usually hides in a cupboard..:O)

M

Back