• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Problems with Teeth

VALM

Young Bun
Last week we took our buck Max to the vets seeking advice about his teeth as the bottom incisors have grown over the top ones. The vet says that he has a slightly more prominant lower jaw and this is the reason for his. She clipped his teeth whilst we were there and advised that it might be best to have his bottom incisors removed as he will still be able to eat with his back teeth and this will save recurrent problems with his teeth. Has anyone had any experience of this procedure?

Just bumping this up for you as I know there are people on here who have had similar experiences. My Bertie has to have his back teeth burred regularly so im not really much help....

Yes, our little Alfie has had to have all of his incisors removed, as he was suffering from maloclusion - his bottom teeth were that bad when he was brought into the rescue they had grown out & were touching his nose. His bottom jaw was also slightly prominent from this. Anyway, our little fighter had all his incisors removed end of Feb this year - he was back eating that same day! He really does manage very well without his front teeth - it does mean I have to chop his veg up into small pieces or grate it for him. I also make sure he's got plenty of small pieces of hay to eat for his back teeth. He even still manages to eat his pellets unsoaked! He's not keen on them soaked!

It doesn't seem to have bothered him one bit. We felt we were left with no option because our vet said he would have needed them clipping at least every 2 weeks if we didn't have the op done. We felt this would have been more stressful for our little man having this done.

We still have to have his molars checked regularly & he needed them re-doing a couple of weeks ago. I check that he's eating & pooing regularly & if he's not, take him to the vets for a check up to see if his teeth are bothering him. One thing to bear in mind though, is that they can still grow back after removal - so you'll need this to be checked regularly too. When Alfie had his molars done the other week, one of his incisors had started to grow back, so they removed it again.

I know it's not an easy decision to make, but I hope this helps - feel free to PM if you need anymore help. Other members will also probably be able to add their experiences to this thread, to help you make a decision.

Just thought I'd include a piccie of my little man Alfie, so you can see he manages perfectly well without his front teeth! He's the little black bun, Harry is his buddy.

CNV00085.jpg

Last edited:
Daily Telegraph letter

Hi there, in Saturdays Daily Telegraph there was an article regarding the removal of rabbits front teeth because of maloclusion. I read this column on a regular basis and the writer seems sensible and says that having a rabbits front teeth removed has proved very successful in past case histories. I have not spoken to anyone who has been through this proceedure with their own rabbits but from what I have read it seems to be a a way of reducing the stress of multiple visits to the vets and the rabbits recover fully after the op. I would be interested to know of anyone who has had or heard of this before.

Yes, our little Alfie has had to have all of his incisors removed, as he was suffering from maloclusion - his bottom teeth were that bad when he was brought into the rescue they had grown out & were touching his nose. His bottom jaw was also slightly prominent from this. Anyway, our little fighter had all his incisors removed end of Feb this year - he was back eating that same day! He really does manage very well without his front teeth - it does mean I have to chop his veg up into small pieces or grate it for him. I also make sure he's got plenty of small pieces of hay to eat for his back teeth. He even still manages to eat his pellets unsoaked! He's not keen on them soaked!

Thanks for that Bunnyaddict. We had a look at Max's teeth again last night and they seem to have grown back from when they were clipped and are just as bad as before! We're back at the vet's on Saturday for the buns to have their second lot of jabs and for us to discuss Max being neutered and have his teeth done. I'm wondering whether we can get away with just having his bottom set removed so that he won't experience problems picking up food. Will see.

Your very welcome, if you need anymore help, don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck with Max, hope you get things sorted for your little man.

Good morning :wave: 2 of my buns have had their front teeth out (3 and 4 times respecively as they grew back). They manage perfectly well without them ....

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=135338

Max would have to have both upper and lower ones removed though as the top ones will still grow and have nothing to wear down against once the bottom ones are removed.

I don't soak their SS pellets... they gum them perfectly well :). I make sure that their veg is either grated or finely shredded and they're absoulteyl fine with it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back