• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Bunny is leaking - urine incontinence?

lovable_lou_uk

Young Bun
hello,

My 2 1/2 year old house bun 'Popcorn' is leaking urine (well i say it's urine but it has no smell or colour to it). This has been going on for about 3 weeks. He's been to the vet, had a 5 day course of baytril and it didn't make any difference. He was panacured for 9 days too. The thing is, when i go to see them in the morning he's fine, no wet legs or patches of water on the floor - i come back from work and he's fine. Its not till he's had some food when I get in that it it all starts. I only find little wet patches in the evening - from about 7 onwards then he's all clean and dry in the morning!!

HELP!!!

His behaviour is normal, he's eating and drinking normal, I just can't seem to work out what's going on! Plus it's also not every day!!! I'd say every other day, but some days worse than others!

Sorry this is so long but i just need some help! Thanks x

It's in a bowl and nope it happens where ever he sits for 10 mins. You can kinda see it coming out when you tip him over. Just a tiny drop every few minutes which makes a lot after half an hour. He's fine again now, just had a look and all dry but i bet when i get home from a rehearsal he'll be wet again. I'm really stumped!

Hi Lou! Sorry to hear about Popcorn :(

It is possible that the urinary incontinence is related to active EC .. in which case 9 days of Panacur isn't going to do much. Most people are now doing 28 days to 6 weeks with bunnies who may have active EC. Was 9 days what the vet suggested?

Can't offer more help than that ... but thinking of you xx

I agree with others...treat for EC and urinary tract infection.

If all else fails, your vet might want tp try a drug called Propalin, which causes the sphincter muscle to tighten up. My urine incontinent rabbit Crunchie is on it and it seems to help her a bit.

sounds like what sooty had, which was EC. He'd get up and leave a little puddle behind. I was finding lots of little puddles all around his room (completely clear and odorless because he was also drinking excessivly). I'd treat with panacur for 6 weeks. I think it took sooty nearly two weeks to show improvement but he was also on Baytrill at the same time which has a double knock on effect on EC apparently.

Thanks guys! Well i've come back just and there is no wet bum and no patches anywhere! I just dont understand! I'll go for the 6 weeks panacur then - the vet only suggested 9 days but 6 weeks is fine if thats what you suggest! I'll do anything to help it stop! It's so weird though, one day he does it one day he doesn't!

Thank you for your help. x

It's happening again.....leaking urine (or something clear)!!!!

AHHHHHHH!!!! WHat could it be? He's totally normal apart from that! So annoying...anyone got any ideas again?

did you go for the full 28 day panacur?

It's always worth taking back to the vet to check for infection or caclium stones. As a bit of alternative therepy if he does have an infection/stones you can try giving him a tablespoon of cranberry juice a day. it makes the wee acid which helps break up stones and like humans seems to help put a lid on UTI infections.

Other that that It's just re-training I guess. Soak up the wee and put it in his tray. Always have a little soiled litter in the tray so he can smell where the right place to go is. Make sure if he's a house bunny that there are lots of trays to get to quickly. Put hay in the litter tray to encourange him to go in it. Make sure there is nothing that might be scaring him away from the tray.

HI, thanks for the message!!! Yep, i did 28 days of panacur, he had a few odd days of dribble but this has been 2 days and like before only happens after 7pm at night! Very wierd!

I'll definately pop him to the vets as he's perfectly litter trained and it's not as if it's loads of wee or whatever it is! He doesn't seem to know it's happening! If i turn him over and cuddle him for 10 mins, you can see a drop ever minute dribble out!!

He is acting totally normal though, so i'm not majorly worried as this has now been going on for about 8 weeks or so! It's just annoying as their are sploges of wet everywhere he sits for a minute or 2 and his fur is a bit wet on his bum/legs!

Ahhhhh so frustrating!!!

there is something where the muscles aren't quite tight enough to stop the wee but that's usually only girls..something to do with hormones after spay.

has anything changed in his environment? Is there anything that happens at 7:00 that might excite/scare him?

This happened to Tango. He had a month of panacur and something that I had to put on the back of his neck (only once and I'm sorry I can't remember it's name). He had a whole load of investigations as it kept happening. We just seemed to dribble out. Have you seem him do a proper wee?

Don't know if this is the same but my sister's dog had that problem after getting spayed - has your rabbit recently been done? Check with the vet - should be treatable.

Hi thanks for your help! Will definately ask the vets about this drug!

Popcorn was neutered about 18 months ago so it can't be anything to do with that. NOthing has changed with the buns at all! Nothing exciting happens a 7pm, and tonight he's totally normal, no dribbling at all - typical! So odd it really is!

All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks x:)

Back