• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beginner bonding...

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Hi all. I lost my gorgeous Eddie bun yesterday and I have decided to try and find a new friend for Elsa as soon as possible. I've never bonded rabbits before so am totally new to it. There are no rescues nearby which could help.
I've been reading past posts so I've got a rough idea but could anyone please give me a step by step guide?
I have a shed (neutral territory) where I can set up a run for them and put some panels in between them. I just won't be able to supervise them ALL the time, would it be ok to put some panels (the PWS ones) between them when I'm working etc or would that set them back at all?
I don't even have a potential bun yet but I'm planning ahead. It was so sad going out and feeding one bunny instead of 2:(

Hi Peedie,

I think I've seen a post like what you're looking for on here before - is it on one of the stickies? Or can you do a search?

I've done a search but there are LOADS and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have a look at the stickies though, thanks:wave:

I bond 2 to 3 pairs of rabbits a week and always ensure that I have adequate time to start and get them over the worst which means I do not have to separate them. Ideally this is 48 hours or more where you can continually supervise them without having to leave them. If you dont have this time dont start until you have this enoughtime. Separating them only means that you end up confusing them and further back than where you left off, it is also more stressful for them.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55913&highlight=bonding this is a good thread.

Get yourself a decent broom so if you need to separate them you will not get bitten.

Have a look at he information in this thread. Humping, chasing, nipping is all normal and you should not do anything when this happens, do not interact with them at all apart from watching them. They do not need strokes or any fuss as you want them to bond with each other, interacting with them at this stage can delay the bonding by changing their focus.

If they lock on to each other, use the broom between them and pull one away from the other, hold the one you have pulled away for a slow count of 10 and then release. You may need to do this for a number of times, slowly the time interval will become longer and eventually you will not have to do this. With some rabbits you wont need to do this with ........

All rabbits vary when bonding them, from my own experience neutered ones are far easier to do than unneutered ones, unless the unneutered ones are 12 weeks or under.

Good luck.

Back