• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination question

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Hi all I posted this on the other thread i started but no one seems to have notice and I think I need a reply urgently.

I think there may be rabbits living over the garden fence of the garden my rabbit is kept in. I am not sure if my rabbit has been vaccinated or not as he was a rescue. I got it from someone who had him dumped on her by someone else, she thinks he has had his vaccinations but wasn't sure. I asked again and she has not replied to me, I feel that the case of Roly is the rabbit is being brushed under the carpet and forgotten about.

Assuming I maybe cannot get info regarding his vaccines is it safe for him to have them done again in case the person who had him originally DID actually have them done?

Also I found a hutch for sale today that's 54"(L)x28(D) over two stories. Will this be OK for two dwarf rabbits?

Hi all I posted this on the other thread i started but no one seems to have notice and I think I need a reply urgently.

I think there may be rabbits living over the garden fence of the garden my rabbit is kept in. I am not sure if my rabbit has been vaccinated or not as he was a rescue. I got it from someone who had him dumped on her by someone else, she thinks he has had his vaccinations but wasn't sure. I asked again and she has not replied to me, I feel that the case of Roly is the rabbit is being brushed under the carpet and forgotten about.

Assuming I maybe cannot get info regarding his vaccines is it safe for him to have them done again in case the person who had him originally DID actually have them done?

Also I found a hutch for sale today that's 54"(L)x28(D) over two stories. Will this be OK for two dwarf rabbits?

Hi, so you mean you rehomed from a rescue and they could not tell you if he had been vaccd? how long have you had him?

I've had him just over a week, I did not get him from a rescue centre but from an individual who had aquired him from someone else. She (the person I got him from) was meant to get back to me with info from him (the person who had him originally) about his vaccines but hasn't done. I think both people simply want to wash their hands of him and I don't know either of them really.

It's fine to revaccinated if you don't know if it's been done. I'd start with the myxi as that's the highest risk atm. Then the VHD can be done two weeks later.

The hutch sounds fine :) That's 4' 8"? So to stories gives you the equivalent of 9'4" :D You will still need a run so they have a nice big area to stretch their legs in when they want to run fast :)

Tamsin

im not sure what to suggest, i *think* myxi can be given earlier.

tbh if they just wanted rid, its highly unlikely they cared enough to get the bunny vacc'd. thats just my op tho x

That's what I thought Indie, I don't think either of them want to admit the rabbit hasn't been cared for. He was a little bag of bones when we got him and running your hand down his back resulted in you getting a good feel of each of his vertebrae. He has put on a bit of weight and muscle as he's been getting a good run around a huge rabbit proof garden.

I will book him in to get his vaccines ASAP, hopefully can get the first by the end of this week.

We're having a walk in run made (more like an aviary) that we are just going to put his hutch inside. At the minute it's looking like an 8'x6'x6' so that should give them enough space even allowing for the hutch being there too.

That sounds great :D I've just had one made for my bunnies :) I just have a small hutch on a stand and I'm building a shelf to go along one side. Inside an aviary that hutch would be plenty big enough!

That's what I thought Indie, I don't think either of them want to admit the rabbit hasn't been cared for. He was a little bag of bones when we got him and running your hand down his back resulted in you getting a good feel of each of his vertebrae. He has put on a bit of weight and muscle as he's been getting a good run around a huge rabbit proof garden.
Its always the case unfortunatly. passing on responsibility but not wanting to admit you failed.

welcome to the site and Im sure hes now in the best care x

Good stuff, I'm glad our plans are OK. We went to a guy in a neighbouring village to ours on a recommendation by an uncle. There's a guy that builds wooden things as a part time job so he makes rabbit hutches and things with the left over wood. We went over today and he had this huge two storey solid hutch sitting in the drive that hadn't been made to order so we just reserved it. We're getting it for £100 which I don't think is too bad, it just needs sanded a bit and painted.

The guy obviously knew about rabbits too as he was saying that some of the hutches he's replaced have been criminally small which is why he started building good ones. I'll get some pictures of it when we get it.

It'll be a wee while before Roly the rescue rabbit can go in in any case as I've been told we should introduce him and his new partner (whom we haven't really thought about getting yet) into it at the same time so it's a neutral ground for them. However we still need to get Roly his vaccines and neutred and the vet told us to wait 6 weeks after that to introduce him to any other rabbits. Hopefully by then the new hutch and run will be ready.

Well that's the wee man booked in for his mixi jab and a de-ballsing on Friday! Hope he comes through all this OK, poor mite. we're making plans to have some of the garden slabbed so we can get the hutch and run set up.

Back