• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those gnaw blocks...

Teepee

Mama Doe
What the heck are they made out of???

My OH purchased a willow ball and one of these blocks as a "surprise" for our buns today...gnawing block hasn't half made a mess on my floor and surely such fine dust isn't good for their respiratory system???

Are these the same "gnaw blocks" you all talk of? (some sort of hard white thing that lets bits crumble everywhere when they chew) OR are yours made from some form of wood and I need go "rescue" said block from their environment asap as it's the wrong type?

I've already taken it from the floor and put it in one of their large cardboard boxes that they like to play in as dust stuff all over the place...they seem to like it but not too sure that it's actually the right type or indeed good for them (though it does say for rabbits on the box!)

TP;)

Hiya! :wave: :lol:

One thing that has to be said is just because something says "rabbit" on it doesn't mean it's actually any good for them! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what the one you have is like, but I had one from the Naturals range, the type with a topping on (made from herbs etc). Bobbin loved it but I noticed it was very dusty. Also the wire that is embedded into for attaching to the cage sent alarm bells ringing - I thought that once he had chewed the block completely these could be potentially harmful (like the parsley bell someone recently mentioned a guinea pig recently had an incident with - thankfully not serious).

I think the best thing is to always err on the side of caution if you're unsure and remove it ;) Bobbin adores wooden chew blocks and willow sticks though :D

This thing is not made from wood or indeed any type of herb that I can make out. It doesn't either have any "attachment wire" ...It's a "white thing" that appears as (best as I can describe!) a large "bath cube" but feels lots harder. The box says that it's suitable for rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats and mice (muchly all creatures that "gnaw" in essence!) It DOESN'T however let me know what it's made of and it is currently banished to my computer desk until somebody can tell me whether it's actually advisable to give!:?

Thanks for your reply though, I have indeed "confiscated it" until such time as I 100% know it's okay for them to go chew!:D

TP;)

I've got one of the Naturals ones with the carrot topping. My big buns seem to like it. I've got to say I haven't seen the white powdery ones. (you sure you didn't go into Lush by accident? :lol:) Are they made of the same stuff as the mineral blocks?

I've got one of the Naturals ones with the carrot topping. My big buns seem to like it. I've got to say I haven't seen the white powdery ones. (you sure you didn't go into Lush by accident? :lol:) Are they made of the same stuff as the mineral blocks?

I haven't a clue, this is my first "gnaw block" - "Mineral Block" kind of fits the bill though (I would imagine one of those would look like this white thing!:lol:)...ARE MINERAL BLOCKS SAFE FOR BUNS DESPITE THE RESIDUE?

TP;)

gnawing block

Flopsy's got one of these gnawing blocks which does look like a bar of soap, and it did say on the box it was a mineral block. Got mine from pets at home. She's had a couple of gnaws out of it but isn't really that bothered. Shame really cos she doesn't seem to like the wooden chews either. The bar is still in her hutch incase she changes her mind!:lol:

gnawing block

Sounds the same. I hope there safe. The bloke in pets at home said they were and that they sold quite a few of them. Like I said Flopsy's block is in her hutch and it doesn't seem to have done her any harm:D

Aha! Mineral blocks are soluble. (In theory) There shouldn't be any dusty residue for them to inhale because they are supposed to be licking them as well as gnawing them. :)

Either that or you got them from the Columbian range :lol::lol::lol:

But.... they are a rip off.... sorry..... however, I got some small animal 2in1 dental treat wood chews today, and they are great. :) (and cheap!)

They DID seem to be all trying to lick the residue stuff as I pushed them out of the way to sweep it up!:oops: They were also very much LIKING the white cube me-thingy!:lol:

SO LONG as it's not going to go having consequence on their little lungs ALL GOOD!;)

TP:)

God Sooz22! I blame YOU for this: I have actually just put my tongue on "rabbit block" thing (all already chewed and all!):shock:

It doesn't TASTE of salt...it tastes like "nothing much" to be fair - a little block of hard, white-stuff "nothing much"...:shock::shock::shock:

TP:?

God Sooz22! I blame YOU for this: I have actually just put my tongue on "rabbit block" thing (all already chewed and all!):shock:

It doesn't TASTE of salt...it tastes like "nothing much" to be fair - a little block of hard, white-stuff "nothing much"...:shock::shock::shock:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Im quite drunk....did it have ingrediants on the packet? Is it a mineral block....what shape is it?

Salt blocks are a pointless invention so at least you know its not one of those.

If it makes you feel better I have tasted numerous pellets and oral medications as the 'royal bunny tester'. :lol:

NO word of whats in it on the packet (hence my concern!)

And it looks like a 5cm cube of white/light gray stuff that tastes (I can assure you as I know thanks to you!:lol:) of "nothingness"!!!:shock:

What the heck is it? It's marketed (at least!) as "gnaw block"...IS IT a "mineral" me larky???

ETA: Can't say that I DO feel much better in knowing you too taste "rabbit stuff"...IT WAS CHEWED ALREADY!!!:shock:

Last edited:
ETA: Can't say that I DO feel much better in knowing you too taste "rabbit stuff"...IT WAS CHEWED ALREADY!!!:shock:

Sorry i really cant be of anymore help at the moment but :lol::lol::lol: your not going to catch owt of your bunny....if t'was the dog I'd be more concerned, though apparently dogs mouths are actually sterile. :shock:

I'm thinking "mineral thing" over "salt thing" having given the "taste test" anyways!;)

ARE "mineral things" okay for buns or are they "not the best" and I need send my OH in search of a wood chew?:?

TP;) - NOT as drunk as thou!:lol:

Back