• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starving Bunnies

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

I am really concious about the amount of pellets I feed my buns. They have unlimited hay and scoff it down happily. The last week or so when I've gone to feed them their pellets they've gone mad as if they are starving. Are they just being greedy?

Do they look skinny?

I think that pellets are rather like sweets to children, some they are going to be eager.

Thanks. My vet said she was impressed they are so sleek as she see's alot of overweight buns. But my boyfriend is easily fooled by their begging and has made me paranoid.

buns sure love the taste of pellets, they go mad because they're so excited. when the pellets come out, bun run around like he hasn't been fed for a week! beg, beg, beg, it's all he does! "gimme my pellet dinner, i wants! i'm on my hind legs and begging for those sweeeeet pellets!"

Better to be thinner that fat. I heard on the radio this morning the epic problem with overweight pets now and how its cruel.

Better to be thinner that fat. I heard on the radio this morning the epic problem with overweight pets now and how its cruel.

i read somewhere a vet saying he'd much rather see a bun that was a little lean than a little overweight.

i feed Excel Junior and for the amount i found "1oz of pellets per lb of rabbit" my bun weighs 2lbs 4oz so could have 2oz a day but i prefer to give him 1oz that i divide for breakfast and dinner and then there's all the hay all the eat-all-you-can buffet, yum!

I find mine go nuts when i put it down, but after they have filled there tummies there are still quite a few left.

Mine have approx 30g SS in morning and 30g SS at night. Loads of hay and veg at bedtime. Vet weighed Charlotte last week and she had lost 4oz since last August. I plan to put them on Excel light in the warmer weather.

My buns live in a 8x6 shed with attached run and get lots of excercise so I guess this helps.

My two are the same, especially Molly, I would often find him half in the pellet bag in the kitchen. He always used to run to the same place where they were kept when they came in and would jump to try and get them. I ended up having to hide them in the drawer! I think its a good thing if they go mad for thier pellets as you can immediately tell if 'something is up' if they don't act like they have been starved!
xx

My buns always act like they've been starved every morning!

Rabbits are supposed to be very lean creatures, as long as they're not boney, don't worry.

Charlie: 'I'd never dream of doing anything like that' :lol:

SP_A0073-1.jpg

Thanks, thats put my mind at rest. My OH claims not to like my bunnies but he must do really to show such concern. :lol:

Back