• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Half blind bunny?

Sandra

Warren Scout
Hi, I posted on the forum a while ago about an aggressive baby that we took home from a pet shop. She is now 8 weeks old. I have never seen such an aggressive bunny and I must admit that she is not fun to take care of...:cry: She attacks, lunges and growls etc. She has bitten my boyfriend, deep cuts etc. Impossible to feed her without risking your fingers etc.

The other day we took her out of the cage and let her run on the floor. We noticed that it seems like she only notices movement from the right side. If you move your hand towards her on her right side she attacks you but if you do the same on her left side it is like she can't see the hand... I cannot see any shadow etc. in her eye. Could she be blind on the left eye? Could this be a reason for her being aggressive?

Will of course take her to a vet but the vets are not specialized on rabbits here in Iceland...

im no expert, and a vets trip is possibly needed, but i would think if she is blind in one eye, its possible she is scared of you.

if not its possibly pre spay agression which should be sorted once spayed. although at 8 weeks old, she is awfully young and shouldn't really be away from her mother x

I had a blind bunny once who was much the same. He was a rew with very bad teeth problems which meant that he also has very runny eyes etc. He used to escape into the garden and you could just walk up to him and pick him up as he had no idea you coming. But one you touched him him would instantly growl and lunge etc.

I would take bun to the vet and let them assess the situation - good luck!

I have a rabbit who is blind in one eye from cataracts and the other is going the same way. He is a fairly placid character most of the time but if you approach him on his blind side or take him by surprise he will growl and lunge!

Lucifer has a cataract in one eye & even now (she's been spayed for 4/5 months) she's still kinda bite-y & scratchy.

It helps a little to talk as you are going to; although not always! :lol:

even the nicest part-blind rabbit gets het up if it suddenly sees close movement (having failed to detect you on his blind side) so it could be that.

If she is indeed blind in one eye it may very well contribute to her aggression. I would think that an animal such as a rabbit (with many predators to look out for!) are programmed to react if they feel threatened by something larger...in this case you!:(

I too recommend vets and agree with foxyfaerie that it may be wise to talk quietly and calmly as you approach her so that you are not a "surprise" when she finally does spot you. Hopefully, if you continue to talk kindly and quietly each time you approach her you will gain her trust and she will associate your voice with food and loves rather than a "potential threat" if you see what I mean?:?

I'm not of course suggesting that you ARE a threat to her I hasten to add - just that, if she can't see you coming she may assume you to be one. In her furry head your something big that "pops from nowhere" and that may cause her to react in the manner you describe.

I do hope that you get to the bottom of her aggression and wish you the best with the vet visit. If she's only now 8 weeks she was taken from her Mum very young bless her - I wonder if this too could have a baring on her behaviour?

TP;)

Thanks everyone:wave:

I was also thinking about the fact that she was taken from her mother so early, that that might be a reason. We got her last week and they then said in the store that she was 7 weeks old. And I guess that she had been in the store at least a week before we took her...:shock: So she was probably taken from her mum at an age of 5-6 weeks... They were going to put her to sleep since there was no way of selling her so we just took her home to see if we could do anything for her...

awwww poor little bunny :( hope she calms down once she realises you're not going to eat her for dinner - well done for rescuing her and giving her a chance! :)

Back