• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where did I go wrong? U/D- Now Fiver too...

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I just cannot work out how Lexie, who arrived here as a healthy, happy bunny has ended up in the state she is in. She has a nasty Pasteurella infection which is not responding to treatment, an inner ear infection which thankfully is and a chronically runny eye left over from the inflammation of her third eyelid.

Her coat is a state and 'staring', she has lost weight she did not need to lose and she will no longer eat hay. She has the beginning of small molar spurs.

Oh, and she hates me.

What on earth have I done wrong to let her end up like this? :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
I would guess most rescues experience this though Sooz as the rescue environment is a stressful one for rabbits, due to having lots of other rabbits around and all the comings and goings etc. If she had underlying health problems by the sounds of things, then the stress of being dumped in rescue would have laid her immune system a bit low, and so she's battling it now - it's not your fault it's just the nature of rescue I think :(

It cant be anything you have done - I hope you can find out what is causing all the problems, and help her on the road to recovery. She will be in the best place to get better.

No. Im scared to let her go under a GA at the moment, what with her breathing and her weight.

Sounds familiar dosn't it :(

ETA- Lots of fast posters, the above was to answer Jane.

I want to switch her to Septrin, hoping to collect it tomorrow morning. Baytril has helped her head tilt/ear infection yet not touched her 'snuffles'. We are on week four.

you do amazing work Sooz; if you were going 'wrong' with your buns, they would all be suffering. Lexie is in the best hands she can be and needs an acurate diagnosis and treatment. No reason to be hard on yourself :)

Oh god it gets worse. I just went to check on the outdoor bunsters and Fiver has a runny nose and is sneezing. He has had 'snuffles' previously too.

Its all falling apart :(:(:(

Poor Lexie :( Hope she starts to get better soon. Loads and loads of hugs and vibes to you all from me and Bell and T. xxx

Its all falling apart :(:(:(

Don't you fall apart!! The buns need you - you keep your chin up and keep doing what you're doing. You're their saving grace right now - heaven knows where they'd be or what they'd be going through if they weren't with you.x

Im sorry Lexie and Fiver are unwell. It must be so stressful for you.
You're doing nothing wrong and everything right that you possibly can.
Stay strong, sending lots of vibes and hugs x I hope they improve soon x

Sorry to hear your rabbits are unwell. I don't think its your fault at all. Could it be down to the cold weather? If they have other problems anyway (being rescue buns) their immune systems may be shot at and not able to cope with this current temperatures. I guess as a rescue you go through bouts where every other animal seems sick. It must be awful.You do a wonderful job. Please don't let this get you down xxx

i dont know if this is the same but i rescued my cat from a centre, i chose her beause she bit, hissed and scratched, had runny eyes and therefore nobody wanted her.ivv given her so much fuss and love and now shes perfect so maybe they just need a home and to be settled.not your fault, id be upset if my owners gave me away and then this horrid cold never ended!!!:)

Do you know that cats and dogs can be unsymptomatic carriers of Pasteurella?

It's a bit of a long shot, but could possibly explain why 2 rabbits who don't have contact with each other could come down with snuffles.

Having said that, my snuffles bun is also having a bad time ATM (and I don't have any other pets)...I think it's the weather.

Amy

Thanks guys :(

I have Fiver and Marley in the bedroom now (thank God Phil is away) so Fiver is out of the cold.

Fiver is my first bunny as an 'adult'. I got him from a pet shop 3 years ago. He has had lots of problems over the past year and a half and 'snuffles' is one of them that comes and goes. I think its coincidence that both he and lexie have it at the same time.

Lex only steps foot outside for routine grooming and Fiver is outdoors permenantly (his has probably been brought on by the cold).

Some good news is that Cassius's swollen plums have started to go down.

Sooz don't be hard on yourself...I'm sure it's not your fault and the buns are getting all the attention they should be.

It does get you down from time to time..we lost little Winnie last night.:cry:..but look at all the good work you do..

hugs all round x

Back