• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can i ask advice and views please

tickles

Mama Doe
Hi i am looking into adopting a bun from a rescue seen on here but i would like to ask peoples opions on my hutches and care first to see where i can improve.
I have a fair few animals including 5 bunnies possible 6 maybe;) two bonded pairs in first hutch two bonded pairs in 2nd hutch and a young netherland on his own he is due for neutering then a wife can be found fingers crossed.
They have 5ftby2ftby2ft hutches with a choice of two outside runs we also have a 8fy by 8ft shed with piggie hutches in but lots of floor space for bad weather they are bedded on megazorb straw and meadow hay.They are fed alpha herbal after trying everything else nearly and have regular fruit and veg.They also get plenty of human interaction as i am at home 24 7 due to a nerve problem. does this sound ok and where can i change things to make it more suitable.I will post some pics for you to see i hope thats ok

Your set-up sounds good, but how often do they get access to the run, and does it have to be supervised access?

hi

They get access daily if good weather if not they can have a few hrs in shed indoor play each.The outside runs all have wire lids and can either been on grass or concrete as i have one that likes digging up the grass lol.Indoor shed as doors like stable doors and as a window which can be left open as it is wired so nothing can get in or out.In side we have tunnels boxs with shredded paper a stool they like to sit on willow toys and i want to fill some pots with peat for them to dig in.I hoe that answers.

yes i have my beadies on one

i have fallin in love with one on the rescue list but i cant say as i need to be sure we would be suited.
they roughly get 3-4 hrs excerise in either each but we want to lino the shed floor so they can stay overnight in there for more exercise as we notice they dont run round much daytime its more evening and early mornings what do you think?

Well the only suggestion i can make, is to let them have more exercise time. My pair of buns have 24hr access to a run (although you are right in that they tend to use it more during the night and early morning. Looking out of the window now... two of mine are sleeping.

My other two are in a shed, therefore they get plently of exercise as the shed is 6x8. I would suggest (RWA would too) a minumum of 8 hours exercise a day. ideally this would be better at night and morning like you say, but if the runs are not foxproof/cat proof then this isnt ideal.

hi

Mmmmmm thinking now how do i go about more excecise time i wouldnt feel happy about them been in run all night we dont have space for hutchs with runs attached what else can i do to make it better as i really would like to give this bunny fingers crossed a home.

hi

also how can imake it fox and cat proof please we do have cats in area as i myself have 2 but we dont have foxes that i know off

Alpha Herbal isn't a great food, it's not very high in fibre. How persistant were you with other foods? You could try cutting out dry food completely and just give hay/veg (and perhaps an in-water vitamin supplement if you're worried about them not getting it all from the hay/veg) for a while and then slowly introducing a good quality pellet as a treat. After a few days they should be hungry enough to eat the pellets anyway, though you'll want to build them up to prevent an upset tummy.
I would also lean more towards vegetables than fruit, as fruit have a fair bit of natural sugar which causes the rabbit's digestive system to slow down a bit, so can contribute/worsen GI stasis. If you think about a rabbit's natural diet, while they may come across the odd fallen apple, pear etc. they unlikely to find a lot of fruit, especially not things like bananas, pineapples, etc.
If you want to provide a bit more variety than veg, herbs are very good and also most have good beneficial properties (e.g. thyme makes a good natural wormer, raspberry leaves are good for digestion, blackberry leaves stimulate appetite, etc)

hi

thanks for that comment they dont have much fruit just odd times it is mainly veg.We do give them herbs and natarul treats and toys like willow rings sisal toys etc etc and they go made for them lol.I understand about alpha i have tried burgess science for a little while introing slowly but they never seemed to eat it maybe i need to leave it more than a few days.What would you reccommend

Science selective is a good rabbit food as it allen and page... you could try either of those but introduce them very slowly so as to not upset their tummies.

Lots of people will feed just a hay and veg diet as they feel this is more natural. Concentrated rabbit feeds were actually developed for the meat trade, designed to bulk up rabbits as fast as possible. Wild rabbits wouldn't have access to such a concentrated feed as mix/pellets.
However, wild rabbits would have a greater variety in their diet (fresh grass, weeds, herbs, etc) and everything would be fresher - there are a lot less vitamins etc in our veggies these days due to intensive farming, things being stored before going out on sale, etc. so feeding a small amount of concentrated feed (preferably pellets as they're usually better quality, and prevent selective feeding) just makes sure the animals get everything they need. Some rabbits also struggle to keep up an ideal weight without a small amount of pellets daily too.
I would personally be happy to go at least a week without feeding the mix, and perhaps even longer if I was weighing the rabbits to ensure no weight loss (and keep an eye on their general condition and behaviour too). As said, you could add a vitamin supplement to the water (the Dr Squiggles range is good - http://www.birdcareco.com/DrSquiggles/drsquiggles.html and comes in a water-soluble version for small animals) to make sure they're not lacking in any essential vitamins.

Back