• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed re. Molar abscess U/D He's back at vets for bloods and xray :-(

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
We took our french lop Wellie to our vet this morning as he had developed a weepy eye and slight weight loss.
I've just phoned and spoken to the vet nurse who assisted our vet in examining him. Our vet was busy so the nurse told me what she knew from having been at the examination.

She said that Wellie has an abscess (under/in I'm not sure) under a top molar. That was causing the eye to weep. She said he had been given a shot of antibiotics today. He will stay in tonight and have another shot of antibiotics tomorrow and will then have to come back in 5 days for another.
She also mentioned that they would flush (or have) his tear duct too.

I'm going to try calling back in a little while to actually speak to the vet but in the meantime can anyone offer me advice about what questions I should be asking re. his treatment, his condition and the prognosis.

I am aware abscesses can be very nasty things so would really appreciate anyone's input. I'm worried for him :(

Thank you. Faye x:(

Last edited:
Please can anyone advise me?
He's home for now but back to vets on friday.
Its an abscess above the molar i believe. He hasn't been xrayed yet.
I've no experience with such things.
Can anyone advise? What questions should i be asking the vet etc?

Sorry, I could not get on the Forum all last night :evil:

It sounds as though Wellie has a tooth root abscess which has also blocked his nasolacrimal duct.
A Skull xray may give more information re the extent of the infection and whether there is any boney involvement ( osteomyelitis)

Aswell as abx it is important that pain relief is given too. So I would *insist* on this.
Do you know what antibiotic is being used? Baytril is often ineffective for dental abscesses. Something like injectable Cephalexin ( Ceporex) or injectable Penicillin would be more appropriate.

This link is a preview of The Textbook of Rabbit Medicine by Frances Harcourt Brown. Scroll down and you will come to a bit about Dental issues in Buns

http://books.google.com/books?id=xT...sig=ACO1p2sc8OV38iwqklsNY6XZpEw#PRA1-PT147,M1

You may also want to read these links and print them off to refer to with the Vet treating Wellie

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html

http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content/full/40/3/1044?view=full&pmid=11880435

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo1.2.htm

Head abscesses in Rabbits are not the best news *but* it is possible to keep the infection under control even if it cant be completely irradicated.

Again, sorry I did not reply last night. The dodgy Forum is :censored: doing my head in!! :rolleyes:

Sending get well vibes to Wellie

Janex

Thank you so much Jane!!!! You're an angel!!

I've gotta get to work and girls sorted for school but I'll read through all of that when I get back this afternoon.
They did say when I picked him up yesterday that he had had a painkiller and a long lasting anti bio injection. He needs to go back friday they said. Do you think it should be sooner for more pain med etc?
They did tell me it wasn't baytril so I was pleased at that but I need to speak to my vet today who is treating him to find out what it is he's been given.
I've also heard Metronidazole (sp?) has been used before for such things?

Thanks so much for your reply Jane and all the info x x

Thank you so much Jane!!!! You're an angel!!

I've gotta get to work and girls sorted for school but I'll read through all of that when I get back this afternoon.
They did say when I picked him up yesterday that he had had a painkiller and a long lasting anti bio injection. He needs to go back friday they said. Do you think it should be sooner for more pain med etc?
They did tell me it wasn't baytril so I was pleased at that but I need to speak to my vet today who is treating him to find out what it is he's been given.
I've also heard Metronidazole (sp?) has been used before for such things?

Thanks so much for your reply Jane and all the info x x

Metronidazole will treat anaerobes but I think your Vet may want to treat with a Penicillin-like drug in the first instance. Also, Metronidazole wont get into infected bone whereas Cephalexin and Depocillin will.

I would def' request a good analgesic. If Wellie has been given Rimadyl ( Carprofen) then he cant have another NSAID ( Non steroidal anti-inflammatory) for about 48 hours but he can have an opiate like Vetergesic/Torbugesic
If he had Metacam ( Meloxicam) then he can have that NSAID every 24 hours. My Vet has also told me that the recommended max' dose for Metacam has recently been increased. It used to be 0.1-0.2mg/kg but is now up to 0.6mg/kg
If he is on longterm NSAIDS then I'd also ask the Vet about giving him an anti GI Ulcer drug like Ranitidine (Zantac) or Cimetidine (Tagamet).

Good Luck

Janex :)

Hi Jane,

Well, we brought Wellie home yesterday evening from the vets. They said he'd had Vertegesic and an antibiotic jab monday and tuesday.
He only ate 4 pellets or so this morning and took a long while to do that and then just appeared to give up and wouldn't have anymore.
I spoke to Emily, the actual vet who is treating him this lunchtime. She said the antibiotic he'd had was something beginning with E! (sorry I'm rubbish!) She did say it was a play it safe antibio and she would have hoped that if it was going to help he'd have been brighter than he was this morning.
So I took him back there early afternoon so he could have more pain releif. They are keeping him and his ladywife Daisy in.
Tomorrow they will x-ray him and Emily said before she was to start him on injectable penicillin she'd have to do a blood test and check his liver and kidney function. Because she wouldn't be happy to administer penicillin if he has impaired function.
She also said that on the penicillin he'd need syringe feeding probiotic etc.
I'll be phoning Emily in the morning to see how the old boy is getting on.
If anyone can spare any vibes please send them Wellie's way :cry:

Lots of ((((vibes)))))) for Wellie. Know exactly what you're going through, so hope he's feeling better soon.

Hi Jane,

Well, we brought Wellie home yesterday evening from the vets. They said he'd had Vertegesic and an antibiotic jab monday and tuesday.
He only ate 4 pellets or so this morning and took a long while to do that and then just appeared to give up and wouldn't have anymore.
I spoke to Emily, the actual vet who is treating him this lunchtime. She said the antibiotic he'd had was something beginning with E! (sorry I'm rubbish!) She did say it was a play it safe antibio and she would have hoped that if it was going to help he'd have been brighter than he was this morning.
So I took him back there early afternoon so he could have more pain releif. They are keeping him and his ladywife Daisy in.
Tomorrow they will x-ray him and Emily said before she was to start him on injectable penicillin she'd have to do a blood test and check his liver and kidney function. Because she wouldn't be happy to administer penicillin if he has impaired function.
She also said that on the penicillin he'd need syringe feeding probiotic etc.
I'll be phoning Emily in the morning to see how the old boy is getting on.
If anyone can spare any vibes please send them Wellie's way :cry:

Would the abx be 'Enrofloxacin' ? If so, that is 'Baytril'
You could mention the use of QUESTRAN with a Penicillin Injection
Questran can help protect the Bun from developing a Penicillin induced enteritis.

Here is some info on Questran:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Sending mega vibes for Wellie

Janex

Thank you Jane. That's interesting because I asked if he had had Baytril, as I've read that Baytril won't touch abscesses, and she said no and said something else :? I'm confused about that :?
Thanks for the Questran link. I'm printing it as I type!
Please send vibes for Wellie. I'm nervous as to what the xray and bloods will reveal. :cry:
I hope we can give our man a fighting chance.

Back