• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injection help!

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I'm trying to give Hobbes his injection of depocillin but i'm really struggling to get the needle in. The first 2 i did were easy and went in straight away. The last one i struggled for a while but eventually did it but this time i just can't get the needle in. I've been poking at him several times with no luck and feel awful in case i'm hurting him.
Where am i going wrong? :? I just can't get the needle into the skin. Help!

have never given a rabbit an injection myself as have always let the vet do that or given syringe through mouth for meds. hope that someone more exp comes along soon xx

Sorry but not much help, just wondered what the injection is and if I should be doing it too, never heard of this one ?

I'm trying to give Hobbes his injection of depocillin but i'm really struggling to get the needle in. The first 2 i did were easy and went in straight away. The last one i struggled for a while but eventually did it but this time i just can't get the needle in. I've been poking at him several times with no luck and feel awful in case i'm hurting him.
Where am i going wrong? :? I just can't get the needle into the skin. Help!

Are you injecting into the same place? If so the skin will have thickened making it hard to penetrate. Try injecting slightly left or right of centre but *pull the plunger back before depressing to make sure you have not hit a vein*
Have you got any spare needles? If so a new needle may help too

Janex

Are you injecting into the same place? If so the skin will have thickened making it hard to penetrate. Try injecting slightly left or right of centre but *pull the plunger back before depressing to make sure you have not hit a vein*
Have you got any spare needles? If so a new needle may help too

Janex

I'll try a new needle. Does it make any difference if its nearer the front of his neck or further down his back?

Always always use a new needle :D If your vet hasn't given enough ask for some more!

I do use a new needle with every injection. I think i have done it properly this time, its hard to see what i'm doing as he has thick fur but there wasn't any liquid on him afterwards so it must have gone in. It's not easy is it?! :(

I do use a new needle with every injection. I think i have done it properly this time, its hard to see what i'm doing as he has thick fur but there wasn't any liquid on him afterwards so it must have gone in. It's not easy is it?! :(

Sorry I misread your post :oops:

Its def something that gets easier with practise so by the end of the course you will no doubt be a pro!!!

It gets easier with practice. The little blue needles are the easiest I find.

I absolutely HATE giving Sub-Q fluids though, the needle is horrid :(

Estelle, the loosest part of the skin of any rabbit is just behind the neck (on his back, about 2 inch behind the ears)

I've done it for 7 mth. straight w/ my last bunny Little Happy. The metal part of the needle should be 2.5 inch long or so. W/ Little Happy, I was injecting sub Q fluid under the skin, but it's the same process as yours.

needle9sq.jpg

I've had to ring up for extra needles in the past because I've either missed completely or gone through and out the other side :oops: I find it easier to do it in the loose fold of skin over the thigh rather than in the scruff - I find I can get a much better handful of skin there so that might be worth a go next time - also helps because it's varying the site of the injection.

Estelle - funnily enough I find it easier with the slightly bigger needles - maybe because there is more 'feel' so it's easier to be confident that it's gone through.

thanks, he has plenty of loose skin on his neck it's just that although i'm pushing on the skin with the needle it won't go through the skin :? I could try the thigh if i can't do it again next time. I just wondered if there was a special knack for getting it right :?

thanks, he has plenty of loose skin on his neck it's just that although i'm pushing on the skin with the needle it won't go through the skin :? I could try the thigh if i can't do it again next time. I just wondered if there was a special knack for getting it right :?

Apart from having a sharp needle and making sure you inject at an angle its just a case of practice makes perfect Im afraid!

Back