• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home prepared concentrated food

becca114

Young Bun
I bought an old rabbit handbook and it says that as a concentrated food you can feed a handful of oats or barley and a little bit of cod liver oil or sunflower seeds. It also says that bread can be fed in small amounts.

I understand the info might be a bit out of date but is it possible to make up your own concentrated food and is bread ok for bunnies?

No food you make is going to be as nutritionally balanced as commercially produced rabbit pellets. It will also make for selective feeding.

Bread is very high in carbohydrate and starch and not a good addition to a rabbits diet as it has relatively low amounts of their required nutrients. It can occasionally be fed as toast or stale but this is for health reasons only i.e an underweight rabbit.

Your book appears to date back to the time when rabbits were fed on household waste and rasied as a cheap meat source!

Back